Faculty & Staff Directory
Pamela Morris, Ph.D.
Title/s: Associate Professor
Advertising and Integrated Marketing
Specialty Area: Advertising
Office #: Lewis Towers 904
CV Link: PMorrisCV2014
External Webpage: http://www.pamelakmorris.com/
Pamela is an associate professor at Loyola University Chicago. She teaches Principles of Advertising, Advertising Creative Copywriting and the Advertising/ Public Relations Capstone. She has also introduced new team taught courses to reflect the real world of advertising, including multi-media commercial production and design for advertising and public relations.
Morris has an impressive academic and professional background. She has spent over 18 years in advertising and marketing communications and has worked in account management for Foote Cone & Belding, Los Angeles and DraftWorldwide, Chicago. Morris has also worked at regional agencies and businesses and was involved in the production of 100s of radio and television commercials. Her love of the field led her to pursue a Ph.D. in Mass Communications at the Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, New York. She also has an MBA from California State University, Long Beach, Calif.
Her research focus is on advertising visuals and the relationship between these images and culture. Morris has published work on gender in print and outdoor advertising around the globe and completed other research work on new media images, organizations and international campaigns.
Morris has a passion for traveling, classical music, opera, art, and architecture and has been a docent for the Chicago Architectural Foundation for over a decade.
2004 Ph.D. Mass Communications, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
1981 Master’s of Business Administration, California State University, Long Beach, CA; Beta Gamma Sigma
1979 Bachelor of Art, California State University, Long Beach, CA
Advertising, visual communication, creativity, mass media
Advertising, international advertising, world culture, gender images, branding, visual communication, creativity, digital media
Professional & Community Affiliations
• American Marketing Association
• Chicago Association of Direct Marketing
• Chicago Association of Direct Marketing Educational Foundation
• International Communication Association
• Association of Education for Journalism and Mass Communication
• Chicago Architecture Foundation
• COMM 100 School of Communication Seminar
• COMM 316 Advertising Creative Copywriting
• CMUN 329 Design for Advertising and Public Relations
• COMM 337 Multimedia Commercial Production for Advertising and Public Relations
• COMM 386 Advertising/PR Capstone
• COMM 415 Research Methods: Discovering and Investigating Stories
• CMUN 160 Communication Practices
• CMUN 248 Observing and Measuring Communication Behavior
• CMUN 250 Mass Media Advertising
• CMUN 350 Advanced Advertising Applications
• CMUN 351 Media Planning
• CMUN 371 Special Topics, Design for Advertising and Public Relations
• CMUN 386 Advertising/PR Capstone
• Directed Studies
• 2012 Loyola University Chicago Summer Stipend for the project entitled “Comparing outdoor advertising images of beauty and gender in six countries”
• 2010 World’s Best Professor Award, Spirit Week, Loyola University Chicago
• Chicago Architecture Foundation Docent 15-Year Recognition Award
Morris, P. K., (2014). Comparing portrayals of beauty across six cultures: Bulgaria, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and Turkey.
Asian Journal of Communication, DOI: 10.1080/01292986.2014.885535.
Morris, P. K., & Nicholas, K. (2013). Conceptualizing beauty: A content analysis of U.S. and French women’s
fashion magazine advertisements. Online Journal of Communication and Media Technologies, 3(1),
Morris, P. K., (2012). Teaching multimedia commercial production for advertising and public relations.
Journal of Advertising Education, 16(2), 47-58.
Morris, P. K., & Maslakowski, K. (2012). Branding the divine: Albrech Dürer’s praying hands and the branding
of iconography. Journal of Religion and Popular Culture, 24(2), 260-276.
Morris, P. K. & Waldman, J. A. (2012). Russian-language translation of Culture and metaphors in
advertisements: France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and the United States. Advertising: Theory
and Practice Journal, Publishing House “Grebennikov,” Moscow Russia, 3, 102-123.
Morris, P. K. & Waldman, J. A. (2011). Culture and metaphors in advertisements: France, Germany, Italy, the
Netherlands, and the United States. International Journal of Communication, 5, 942-968.
Morris, P. K. (2006). Gender in print advertisements: A snapshot of representations from around the world.
Media Report to Women, 34(3), 13-20.
Morris, P. K. (2005). Overexposed: Issues of public gender imaging. Advertising & Society Review, 6(fall).
Morris, P. K. (2005). Vogue Advertising Over the Years. Journal of Advertising Education, 9(spring), 46-47