Curriculum - After Fall 2014
Year 1: Foundation (18 credit hours)
- COMM 400—Introduction to Digital Media
- COMM 405—Narrative Communication Techniques
- COMM 420—Digital Production: Story Telling
- COMM 430—Digital Design
- COMM 425—Audiences and Distribution
Year 2: Applications (18 credit hours)
- COMM 415—Research Methods: Discovering and Investigating Stories
- COMM 450 Capstone
- COMM 410—The Law and Digital Media
*Required Capstone (3 hours)—these courses involve integration of new media tools and storytelling, culminating in a professional project that is conveyed to public audiences and widely distributed.
In semesters 2, 3, and 4, you will also take electives. They may be selected from any of the following courses.
Electives are courses you take alongside upper level Loyola undergrads. You will be asked to do more work than the undergrads, however.
Every semester, we offer some or all of these classes. The times change every semester.
We always offer some 300 level classes between 7–9:30 p.m., but many are offered during the day as well.
If a 300 level COMM course is not listed on this page but you would like to take it as an elective, contact the Graduate Program Director for approval.
- COMM 312 Special Events Planning
- COMM 314 Public Relations Cases
- COMM 316 Advertising Creative Copywriting
- COMM 317 Media Planning
- COMM 318 Writing for Public Relations
- COMM 319 Communication Consulting
- COMM 320 Public Service Communication
- COMM 321 Advertising Campaigns
- COMM 327 New Media Campaign
- COMM 337 AD/PR Multimedia Commercial Production
- COMM 370 Special Topics
- COMM 308 Screen Directing
- COMM 322 Guerilla Media
- COMM 323 Remixing Culture
- COMM 339 Documentary Production
- COMM 359 Advanced Post-Production
- COMM 361 New Media Criticism
- COMM 3XX Animation
- COMM 39X Digital Media Internship (Must be pre-approved)
- DIGH 400 Introduction to Digital Humanities Research
- DIGH 401 Introduction to Computing
- COMM 315 Advanced Reporting
- COMM 328 Magazine Design and Production
- COMM 332 Investigative & Public Affairs Reporting
- COMM 335 City News Bureau
- COMM 340/PLSC 387 Politics and the Press
- COMM 342 Human Rights Reporting
- COMM 358 Newscasting/Producing
- COMM 368 Critical Ethnography
- COMM 372 Special Topics
- COMM 392 Journalism Internship (must be pre-approved)
- COMM 300 Persuasive Campaigns
- COMM 306 Environmental Advocacy
- COMM 311 Health Communication
- COMM 313 Corporate and Organizational Communication
- COMM 338 Narrative Production
*Courses listed with an X in the number are proposed and do not yet have permanent numbers.
Check out the Course Listings page for full descriptions of each course offered.