2015-2016 JUMPSTART CORPS MEMBER APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And be sure to plan your fall 2015 courses around a session block listed below!
What is Jumpstart?
Every child deserves the chance to succeed, yet studies show that children from low-income neighborhoods are at a greater risk of school failure. Jumpstart is a national early education organization that helps these children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be successful in school, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late. Watch our video
At the heart of Jumpstart are the 3,500 college students and community volunteers who give their time to work with children across the country. If you are passionate about working toward the day every child in America enters school prepared to succeed, we invite you to join us.
Our Issue: The Achievement Gap
- Children who start behind stay behind. The gap only widens over time, making children more likely to drop out of high school, be unemployed, or require welfare.
- 60% of children in America’s low-income neighborhoods start kindergarten behind their wealthier peers
- $260,000 in taxpayer dollars is the cost to our society for every high school dropout.
Our Program: Caring and Supportive Relationships
Jumpstart is the only national supplemental preschool program of its kind. We recruit and train college students and community volunteers to serve children living in low-income neighborhoods. The heart of our program is this relationship between caring adults the children they serve.
For additional information, please visit www.jstart.org.
Jumpstart at Loyola University Chicago
Jumpstart Corps members have the unique opportunity to inspire young children to learn, serve in a local community, work on a team, and build professional skills. All Corps members receive training to help them implement Jumpstart’s outcome-based program, promote children’s school success, and build family involvement.
- Corps members complete 300 hours of service during the program year
- Serve part-time, 8-12 hours per week, during the program year
- Participate in intensive pre-service and on-going training (some weekends)
- Attend periodic service days and reflection activities (some weekends)
Compensation and Benefits
- Corps Members receive a $1,000 stipend, paid in biweekly installments, during their service with Jumpstart
- AmeriCorps Education Award ($1,195 upon completion of service term): This award can be applied directly towards Loyola tuition; it also can be used to repay a qualifying student loan. The AmeriCorps Education Award can also be saved for up to seven years; there are over 110 graduate schools that will match the education award.
- Earn 3 credit hours and fulfill Loyola's Engaged Learning requirement by participating in Jumpstart as a service-learning internship
- Receive extensive training in the field of early childhood education
- Experience a unique opportunity to join a national network of individuals serving young children
- Invaluable opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young children right here in Rogers Park!
Jumpstart Session Times
Jumpstart sessions occur in preschool classrooms during these four time blocks weekly throughout the academic school year; you must have one of the four blocks available in order to participate:
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:00am-12:00pm
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 12:30pm-3:30pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30am-11:30am or 9:00am-12:00pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:30pm-3:30pm
How to Apply
Recruitment for the 2015-2016 program year is now underway. You can access the Jumpstart application here. Please email email@example.com with any questions. And remember: make sure to schedule your fall 2015 classes around one of the above Jumpstart session times!
Our Program Partners
- Jordan Community School
7414 N. Wolcott, Chicago, IL 60626
- Joyce Kilmer Elementary School
6700 N. Greenview Ave, Chicago, IL 60626
- Mary Crane Head Start-Morse (Classroom Assistance Time) 1545 W. Morse Avenue, Chicago, IL 60660