A passport is an internationally recognized travel document detailing an individual’s identity and nationality. A valid U.S. passport is required for nearly all international travel, and can only be issued, renewed, or verified by the U.S. Department of State.
A passport is the most important document a student will have while traveling abroad. A passport identifies citizenship and is required in order to enter and return from almost every country in the world. If your student already owns a passport, check that it will be valid for the duration of their stay. In order to apply for a study visa, passports must be valid for at least 180 days beyond the end date of the semester you are in Rome.
If you do not already have a passport, apply for one early; the process could take 10-12 weeks or longer. You can download passport applications and get answers to most general questions on the U.S. State Department's passport page.
First Time Applicants
Students who are American citizens must apply for a U.S.A. passport in person. You may pick up application forms at the following:
- Clerks of court
- Larger post offices
- Travel agencies
You can also call the National Passport Information Center at 1.900.225.5674 or may also download the form from the Internet at www.travel.state.gov.
If you are over the age of 18, your passport will be valid for 10 years. You may fill out the application form at home but you should sign and date it only in the presence of the clerk to whom you are giving your application form and documents.
These items must be brought with you to the Passport Facility
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship – Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate.
- Proof of Identity – You may submit items containing your signature and physical description or a photograph that is a good likeness of you such as: previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, driver’s license (not temporary or learners), or government employee identification card or pass.
- Two Recent, Color Photographs – Submit two color photographs of you alone, sufficiently recent to be a good likeness of you (normally taken within the last six months), and 2x2 inches in size. To obtain the photos near Loyola’s Lake Shore campus, you could go to either CVS or Walgreen’s.
- Fees – The passport processing fee is $110 nd the application execution fee is $25; therefore your total cost for the passport will be $135.
- At the Passport Facility you will complete the application for a U.S. Passport.
- If your passport needs to be expedited, additional costs will be incurred.
- Please realize that the “Procedure” listed above is considerably simplified. For more detailed instructions refer to the resources listed.
If you need to renew your passport, you can do so by mail. This application can also be downloaded off the U.S. government website. However, please refer to the www.travel.state.gov website for further directions since some restrictions apply.
Passport Acceptance Facilities Near Loyola Chicago
- USPS Passport Acceptance – 3401 W. Devon Ave. 773.463.1211
- Uptown Station Post Office – 4850 N. Broadway 773.561.4847
- Evanston City Clerk (checks/MOs only) – 2100 Ridge Ave.
- USPS Evanston – 1101 Davis St. 847.328.6288
- Chicago City Clerk’s Office – 121 N. LaSalle St. room 107
- Circuit Court Clerk (Cook Co) – 50 W. Washington room 202
- Fort Dearborn USPO – 540 N. Dearborn St. 800.ASK.USPS
- Ontario Street Station P.O. – 227 E. Ontario St. 800.275.8777
Passport Acceptance Facilities
Passport agencies will only process applications for travelers with itineraries showing a departure date within 14 days or travelers who need to obtain a passport in order afterwards to secure foreign visas to travel. All agencies take applications only by appointment. The automated appointment number for all agencies is 877.487.2778. Passport agencies are located in:
- Boston (10 Causeway Street)
- Chicago (230 South Dearborn Street)
- Colorado (3151 South Vaughn Way, Aurora)
- Connecticut (50 Washington Street, Norwalk)
- Honolulu (300 Ala Moana Boulevard)
- Houston (1919 Smith Street)
- Los Angeles (11000 Wilshire Boulevard)
- Miami (51 SW 1st Avenue)
- New Orleans (365 Canal Street)
- New York (376 Hudson Street)
- Philadelphia (200 Chestnut Street)
- San Francisco (95 Hawthorne Street)
- Seattle (915 2nd Avenue)
- Washington, DC (1111 19th Street, NW)
If you already hold a passport, be sure that it remains valid for at least six months past the end of the academic term in which you will be in attendance at the Rome Center.