Loyola University Chicago

Residence Life


Moving to a new place and building a new community may seem both exciting and challenging. Below are some frequently asked questions from students and parents about the Loyola University residential experience. If you do not see your specific question below, please feel free to contact us at res-life@LUC.edu
We look forward to having you join us on campus!

Yes, Residence Life allows incoming first-year students the opportunity to select a roommate over the course of the summer. This unique opportunity allows for first-year students to meet potential roommates at orientation. We are only able to accept requests from students assigned within the same building. No building changes will be made to accommodate a roommate request. The last day to submit this form is typically right after the final orientation session in July.

Yes, the Department of Residence Life offers housing options on the Water Tower Campus in Baumhart Hall. Baumhart Hall is open to upper class, transfer, and graduate students only.

Summer Housing through Residence Life is only available to students who are enrolled in Loyola courses during the summer.

Housing assignments for new first-year students will be emailed to your Loyola email address in early June. Click here to log into your Loyola email account. Your email account is a separate entity than your LOCUS account.

Your housing assignment email will include your building assignment and room type.  Your final housing assignment, including roommate information and room information, will be emailed to your LUC email account in mid-July.  

Housing assignments for upperclass students are available through your Residence Life link in LOCUS.

All students living on the Lake Shore Campus must have a university meal plan. For information on available meal plans, please visit the Campus Card page. First and second year students are required to have an all-access plan. Upperclass students (students who are two or more years out of high school) can chose an all-access plan or a declining balance plan.

Residents of Baumhart Hall can elect to have any of the declining balance plans (even if you are a second year student) or can elect to opt out of the meal plan.  Baumhart Hall features two cafes and does not offer a full-service all-access dining facility.

Before you add additional money to your declining balance, note that unused declining balance dollars carry over from the fall to the spring semester. At the end of the academic year, any unused declining balance dollars are forfeited and non-refundable. You should select your meal plan according to your expected spending habits.

If you do need to add additional money, you can add Rambler Bucks to your card at any time. Rambler Bucks are non-refundable, but will continue to carry over for every semester. To change a meal plan, students can visit the Campus Card Office in the Sullivan Center for Student Services or fill out one of the meal plan forms on the Campus Card Website. Residential meal plan changes will be accepted until the 3rd Thursday of the semester. 

For more information on meal plan changes, contact the Campus Card Office at 773.508.2273 or visit the LUC.edu/campuscard.

All rooms come furnished with one bed, desk, desk chair, and dresser per person. Information about that standard furniture is available here. Keep in mind that your room is small and that you will be sharing this space with another person. Talk with your roommate and decide what items you will bring with you and what items you can share. 

While the Department of Residence Life does not provide a linen service for students, we do offer the opportunity to purchase linen packets specifically designed for our extra long mattresses through University Student Services.

The Department of Residence Life does not rent refrigerators directly, but works with University and Student Services, a university partner, to offer MicroFridge rentals to residential students in our community or suite-style residence halls. All apartment-style residence halls offer a refrigerator in the kitchen.

Every residence hall has access to laundry rooms. Students pay for laundry funds on their student ID card in the form of Rambler Bucks.  You can add Rambler Bucks to your card at a Rambler Bucks machine or online.

Yes. We partner with University Student Services to provide students with storage over the summer.

The Department of Residence Life has a guest policy for students, but does not offer separate guest housing. You may wish to refer to this list of local hotels.

All student mail should be sent to:


6317 N. Broadway Ave

Chicago, IL 60660


The residence hall front desks WILL NOT accept any mail. 


Maintenance and work requests should be submitted to the Division of Facilities Management.  For more information, visit our Maintenance page.

The following halls provide printing through the collaboration with ITS and SGLC: Mertz, Fordham, Regis, and Simpson Hall. In order to use the lobby printer, students must install OnePrint. For instructions on installing OnePrint, Click Here. Once OnePrint is installed, print to OnePrint, go to any OnePrint authorized station, swipe your Campus Card, choose your job and simply print out your documents.

Front desks have a variety of items that residents can check out. The inventory will be different at each desk. Check with your front desk and hall councils for specific items.