Residence Hall Closing Information
We hope that you have enjoyed a productive 2012-2013 academic year. As we approach the final weeks of Spring semester, we would like to provide you important information about residence hall closing and your process for moving out. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your RA or the Department of Residence Life. Best of luck for the remainder of the semester and finals!
Click one of the following links for more information:
- All residents are expected to vacate the residence halls 24 hours after their last final or by 12:00 noon on Wednesday, May 8 – whichever comes first.
- Residents who are graduating, or working at any of the graduation activities, an athlete in post season competition, in the Graduate School of Business, or Law school are permitted to stay in their rooms until Sunday, May 12 at 12:00 noon. Law School Students may stay until Thursday, May 16 at 12:00 noon.
- The deadline to register for extended stay has passed please contact the department of Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- If you are a volunteer at commencement activities be sure to communicate with your supervisor/coordinator so that your name will be on the list that they provide our office.
- Residents who will be living on campus during the summer should remain in their current rooms while their summer units are prepared for check in. You will be permitted to move into their summer assignments as soon as their rooms are ready. Because you will be asked to move as soon as your new room is ready, if you wish you leave your belongings during the interim, you will need to be on campus as well. If you plan to leave for the break, you will need to find a place to store your belongings. Additional information will be sent about your process for checking out of your current space and into your new space.
Check Out Procedures
- Beginning April 16, you may sign up for a check-out appointment using the link that will be provided by your Resident Director. Residents must sign up for an appointment by April 29, 2013 by going to http://closing.genbook.com . If a student fails to make an appointment for a check out time by April 29th, they will be assessed a $100.00 fee for failing to schedule the appointment. If a student fails to check out properly, they will be charged a $220 Failure to Check Out Fee. Note: You must be completely moved out of your side of the room before an RA can perform a check out.
- Check outs will only occur between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- At the time of your check out, an RA will do a thorough inspection of your unit in your presence. Any damage to the unit will be noted on the Electronic Room Condition Report that was filled out when you moved in. You are subject to charges for any damage in your room that was not present at your time of move in. All charges will be billed to your university student account for Spring Semester, 2013.
Special Note on Bicycles
Students who are not living on campus for the summer must remove their bicycle from outside of the residence halls. All bicycles must be registered with Campus Safety. Bicycles left on campus for more than 3 days that are unregistered and not belonging to a summer resident will be impounded by the university after closing.
Checklist for move out
- All recycling and garbage must be carried out of your room and brought to the designated garbage cans and recycling receptacle located outside of your building
- No items/belongings are permitted in any common areas of the buildings (i.e. hallways, lounges, lobbies).
- All furniture provided by Loyola University Chicago must remain in the buildings.
- All furniture owned by residents must be taken out of the building as part of check out. *RA’s will not check you out until every non-university owned item has been taken out of the room.
- Please note there are a limited number of carts and vacuums available for check out at the front desks. Plan ahead and expect a waiting list for use of these items. Do not rely on carts as your only means for transporting items out of your room.
- We are not able to provide any lost and found service at the time of check out. Any personal belongings left behind will be treated as abandoned property.
- Do not bunk or un-bunk your beds.
For environmental and cleanliness concerns, please complete the following items prior to vacating your room.
- Pack and empty all contents from room (with the exception of LUC property)
- Clean and vacuum the room, (bathroom and kitchen if applicable)
- Remove all items from and clean your refrigerator (follow provided instructions to defrost your MicroFridge™ if it is a rental)
- Empty and clean all wastebaskets and recycling bins
- Turn out all lights
- Close and lock the windows
- Close the blinds
- Return all LUC furniture to original location