Mary Ann McGrath
Title: Professor or Marketing and Director of the Intercontinential MBA Program
Office #: Maguire 446
- PhD Marketing, Northwestern University, 1988
- MBA Marketing, Northwestern University, 1973
- BS Mathematics, Loyola University Chicago, 1968
- Consumer behavior, with special emphasis on international aspects, consumer rituals, and gift exchanges and shopping behavior
- Expertise related to the consumer behavior and the consumer experience in China
- Qualitative research methodologies appropriate for studying consumer behaviors in context:
- projective techniques
- observation techniques
- shopping with consumers
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Association for Consumer Research since 1985. Involved with planning several annual conferences. Reviewer of submissions, member of several Program Committees.
- American Marketing Association. Member since 1991.
- Beta Gamma Sigma National Business Honor Society. Member since 1993.
- Member of Editorial Review Board of Journal of Business Research.
- Phi Beta Delta, Delta Psi Chapter. Honor Society for International Scholars, Loyola University Chicago. Inducted in 2003.
- Director of the Intercontinental MBA Program, 2012-present
- Associate Dean of the Quinlan School of Business, 2005-2008 and 2011-2012
- Professor of Marketing, China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), 2009-2010
- Author of the Marketing Blog entitled “Market Share” for the Quinlan School of Business and the Marketing Department. These are referenced on Facebook and Twitter for current and prospective students.
- Faculty Mentor for aspiring qualitative researchers at the Consumer Culture Theory Workshop, Medill School of Communication, July 6 and 7, 2011.
- Conference Chair for Eighth European Advances in Consumer Behavior Conference, Milan, Italy, July, 2007.
Integrated Marketing Communications
Fundamentals of Marketing/Marketing Management
Cross-Cultural Dimensions of International Management and Marketing
McGrath, Mary Ann, “Discordant Brand Ideology in the House of Barbie” with John F. Sherry and Nina Diamond, Qualitative Marketing Research, Volume 16, Number 1, January 2013.
“An Alternative Conceptualization of IMC: An Exploratory Study of Mobile Marketing in China,” with Mars Ren and Tina Li,International Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications,Spring, 2011, pp. 53-64.
McGrath, Mary Ann, "American Girl and the Brand Gestalt: Closing the Loop on Socio-cultural Branding Research."Journal of Marketing, Nina Diamond, John Sherry, Stefania Borghini, Rob Kozinets, Albert Muniz, (2009).
McGrath, Mary Ann, "Why Are Themed Brandstores so Powerful? Retail Brand Ideology at American Girl Place."Journal of Retailing , Stefania Borghini, John Sherry, Nina Diamond, Robert Kozinets, and Albert Muniz, (2009).
McGrath, Mary. , Borghini, S., & Otnes, C. "European Advances in Consumer Research." Association for Consumer Research, (Duluth, MN), 8. (2008).
McGrath, Mary. P. , Cele Otnes, and Stefania Borghini, Proceedings of the European Association for Consumer Research Conference in Milan, Italy, July, 2007. (2007).
McGrath, Mary. P. , "Allomother as Image and Essence: Animating the American Girl Brand.", Exploring Consumer Culture Theory. Ed. New York: Routledge, 2009, , Nina Diamond, Stegania Broghinii, Johna Sherry, Albert Muniz, Robert Kozinets, 2009.
Presentation of Refereed Papers
“Why Are Themed Brandstores so Powerful? Retail Brand Ideology at American Girl Place,” with Stefania Borghini, Nina Diamond, Robert Kozinets, Albert Muniz and John F. Sherry, Jr., Journal of Retailing William R. Davidson Best Paper Award Presentation and New Research Extensions, (Journal of Retailing,Volume 85, 3, 2009, pp. 363-375), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, Austin, Texas, February 18-20, 2011.
“Consumer Conceptualizations of Credit: A Comparison Across Four Cultures,” with Nina Diamond, Suzanne Fogel and Jack Xu, Chicago Consumer Culture Consortium, DePaul University, May 6, 2011.
“The Development of IMC in China,” Macromarketing Conference 2011, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, June 5-8, 2011.
“Experiencing Industry Legitimation: Consumer Constructions of Credit Card Meaning in Four Countries,” with Nina Diamond, Suzanne Fogel and Jack Xu, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, July 6-10, 2011.
“Eight Lessons U.S. Business Schools Can Learn From China,” AACSB Part Time MBA Conference, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, October 12-14, 2011.
“Opportunities and Risks in the China Environment,” with William J. McGrath, 2011 South Africa Conference of the Center for International Legal Studies, Durban, South Africa, November 9-13, 2011.
“Can You Hear Me Now: Mobile Advertising in China,” Direct/Interactive Marketing Research Summit, San Francisco, CA, October 9-10, 2010.
“How Commercial and Cultural Hybridity Shape Retail Spectacle: Flagship Architourism at the House of Barbie Shanghai,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, June, 2010.
“Mobile Advertising in China,” Chicago Direct Marketing Association Academic Roundtable, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, May 6, 2010.
“Living in the Matrix: A Consumer Behaving in China” Chicago Consumer Culture Community, Loyola University Chicago, October, 2008.
McGrath, Mary. (2008). "Allomother as Image and Essence: Animating the American Girl Brand." Consumer Culture Theory Conference, York University. Toronto, Canada..
McGrath, Mary. (2008). "Integrating the Collegiate ECHO in Direct and Interactive Marketing Courses."Direct/Internative Marketing Research Summit, Las Vegas, Nevada.
McGrath, Mary. (2008). "Keeping It Fresh: Enhancements and Web-Play in an IMC Campaign." AACSB Part Time MBA Conference, Pepperdine University, Los Angeles, California.
McGrath, Mary. (2007). "Integrated Marketing Communication in Promoting Graduate Business Education."AACSB Part-Time MBA Conference, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.
McGrath, Mary. (2005). "American Girl: The Family Brand." Chicago Association of Direct Marketing Educational Foundation Academic Update, Chicago, Illinois.
McGrath, Mary, and A. Reilly. (2005). "Innocents Abroad: Doing Student Research in a Cross-Cultural Setting."Marketing Managment Spring Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
McGrath, Mary. (2005). "Creating and Enacting Family through Consumption." European Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, Gutenberg, Sweden.