Cultural Differences & Communicative Practices
Participants will emerge with a fuller understanding of the paradox that cultural differences may evidence themselves only in subtle, almost imperceptible ways, but these ways can have a profound, often negative, impact upon communication. Miscommunication creates missed opportunities, unnecessary complications, wasted time, and bad feelings.
Cultural Differences & Communicative Practices topics:
- The relationship between language and culture
- The importance of understanding cultural difference
- Various non-spoken components of language
- Various models of communication (“information transfer,” “transactional process,” “strategic control,” “balance of creativity and constraint”)
- The concept of appropriate language for the cultural context (“communicative competence”)
- The notion that language habits predispose certain ways of thinking (Sapir-Whorf hypothesis)
- “Difference” and “deficit” as theories relative to diversity
- Sociologically descriptive national categories of thinking (Hofstede’s “variables”)
- The concept that phrases are used as embodiments of values (“cultural constructs”)
- Miscommunications which can occur related to ethnic, racial, gender, religious, and sexual orientation differences in communication
Who Should Attend
- Culturally diverse companies
- Managers of diverse workforces
- Speakers to non-native or non-mainstream audiences
- Anyone who deals with internationals
- Internationals working in U.S.
- Human Relations Departments
- Global marketers
- Marketing communications professionals
- Field sales organizations
Fees are based on the level of customization, development and delivery time, and vary by project.
Programs can be conducted at Loyola's Executive Education training center in downtown Chicago, at one of our suburban campuses across Chicagoland, or onsite at your organization.
For more information about our organizational programs, custom programs and organizational retreats, please contact us at 312.915.6781 or e-mail email@example.com.