APN Certification and License
Nurse Practitioner (NP) and Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) students complete the MSN program and then sit for the appropriate national certification exam. Upon passing that exam, graduates apply to their state board for advanced practice licensure; requirements for APN licensure vary state by state across the US.
The APN Certification and Licensure document contains essential information for all NP and CNS students who are completing required MSN coursework and preparing to graduate. The document outlines:
- Overview of available certification exam review courses;
- Procedures to apply for the certification exam;
- Overview information about the certification exam;
- Procedures to apply for an Illinois Advanced Practice License as a Certified Nurse Practitioner;
- Procedures to apply for an Illinois Mid-level Provider Controlled Substance license; and
- Procedures to apply for a federal DEA license
APN Authority to Diagnose and Prescribe was updated and renamed as of of January 1, 2014 by the Illinois Society for Advanced Practice Nursing. Please read this document carefully and keep as a reference.