We invite you to apply to the Accelerated Bachelors of Science in Nursing program and join a community of students that have made the decision to enter the wonderful world of nursing. The ABSN program is located at Loyola's Health Sciences Campus in Maywood, IL.
|Term||Application Deadline||Deposit Deadline||Semester Start|
|Fall||May 1st||June 1st||August|
|Spring||November 1st||December 1st||January|
Application review for Fall entrance begins in January and in September for Spring entrance. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until spaces are filled or application deadline, whichever comes first. Applicants will be notified if a waiting list is enacted.
- A baccalaureate degree.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all college coursework completed. Students must achieve at least a 3.0/4.0 to qualify for admission. Prerequisite coursework will be factored into the cumulative average.
- A minimum grade of "B" in all science prerequisite courses. All non-science prerequisites must show a grade of "C-" or above. Grades of "D" do not transfer.
- Completion of most prerequisite credits before submitting an application.
Students may apply with some prerequisite courses in progress; however all prerequisite courses must be completed before the program start date.
- Organic Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology I & II and Microbiology prerequisite courses must be completed within 5 years of entering the School of Nursing.
- General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Anatomy & Physiology I & II courses must include a laboratory component. Microbiology does not need a lab component.
- A Minimum grade of "B" in all prerequisite science courses (General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Anatomy & Physiology I & II and Microbiology). All non-science prerequisites must show a grade of "C-" or above. Grades of "D" do not transfer.
|General Chemistry||4 credits|
|Organic Chemistry||4 credits|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I||4 credits|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II||4 credits|
|Introduction to Psychology||3 credits|
|Developmental Psychology||3 credits|
|English (3 credits may be Literature)||6 credits|
Loyola University Chicago - Transfer Guides
Please consult the ABSN Transfer Guide for the list of transferable courses from area community colleges when enrolling prerequisite courses. In addition to these Chicagoland schools, Loyola accepts transfer credits from other accredited colleges and universities.
To apply for admission to the ABSN program in the School of Nursing, the following documents are required:
- A completed undergraduate ABSN application
- One set of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Prerequisite Completion Form
- A current resume
- Personal Statement
- Please provide a 500 word narrative that identifies your professional goals and reasons for selecting Loyola University Chicago to pursue your ABSN curriculum. The narrative is your opportunity to address prior academic performance that may not represent your current academic ability and motivation for the rigors of an accelerated program.
Please send all application materials to:
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road
Chicago, Illinois 60660
The applicant who has taken significant course work outside the U.S., or who has obtained an undergraduate degree where the primary language of Instruction is not English, will be required to prove English proficiency. This can be demonstrated by the following:
- TOEFL scores-minimum 80 composite with minimum sub score of 18 for all components (writing, speaking, listening, reading).
- Please contact Lori Salinas at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have additional information that you believe would provide proof of proficiency.
If you have completed undergraduate or graduate work in a country outside the United States, you must have your transcripts evaluated by Educational Perspectives and submit a Catalog Match Evaluation Request to be sent to Loyola. Please go to http://edperspective.org/student-credential-evaluations.php for more information.
Criminal Background Check
A Criminal Background Check is required prior to beginning the Accelerated Nursing Program. The results of this background check may impact the ability to place a student in a clinical setting.