Foreign Language (FL) Placement Process
It is important that students be placed into the proper FL course so that learning occurs at the right pace. Placement is based on these principles:
1) Placement occurs as needed, but always BEFORE registering in a FL course.
2) Students should get help from placement advisors.
3) Students may not enroll in a course that is clearly below or above their current proficiency level.
4) If it is determined that a student is enrolled in the wrong course, it is the responsibility of the student to switch courses. This scenario should clearly be avoided.
5) Placement should occur as earlier as possible in the college career, by junior year at latest.
6) Results of placement exams are valid for 15 months.
Placement advising occurs for most freshmen during summer orientation sessions. For sophomores, juniors and seniors, placement occurs as needed, but always BEFORE registering in a FL course.