Dr. Andrew J. McKenna
Professor, French Language and Literature
- René Girard's Mimetic Theory in all its implications and applications in the Human Sciences
- Eric Gans's Generative Anthropology as a decisively important dimension of Mimetic Theory
- Art history and criticism: French, European, American
Selected Recent Publications
- "Interview on René Girard's Mimetic Theory" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tAmonbuA0, 2015
- “Voltaire’s Victims and Us", http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/ap2001/2001mckenna.htm, 2015
- “Girard and Derrida: Philosophy for Laughs,” Contagion: Journal of Violence, Mimesis, and Culture, Vol. 22 (2015)
- “Darwin and Girard: Natural and Human Science.” http://lookingglasstheatre.org/media/InTheGardenStudyGuide.pdf
- “Human Sacrifice: Black-on-Black Violence and Mimetic Theory.” http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/premium/teachingnonviolentatonement/files/2014/01/Human-Sacrifice-Black-on-Black-Violence-and-Mimetic-Theory.pdf
- "Art and Markets," Anthropoetics: The Journal of Generative Anthropology: Chronicles of Love and Resentment, No. 418, Jan. 21, 2012
- "The Ends of Violence: Girard and Derrida," Lebenswelt: Esthetics and Philosophy of Experience, No 1 (2011), 84-92, http://riviste.unimi.it/index.php/Lebenswelt/issue/view/214/showToc
- "Art and Incarnation: Oscillating Views," Anthropoetics 15, no. 2 (Spring 2010), http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/ap1502/1502McKenna.htm
- "Bernanos : Polemicist and Prophet of our World", Logos : A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture 12:2: 62-79 (Spring 2009)
- "Mimésis et réciprocité: Montesquieu romancier," in Jean-Pierre Dupuy, ed., Dans L’oeil du cyclone : Colloque de Cerisy (Paris : Carnets nord, 2008), 227-246.
- "Philanthropologie : La Loi du plus faible," Cahiers de l’Herne: 223-228 (Fall 2008)
- "Fellini's Crowds and the Remains of Religion," Contagion: Journal of Mimesis, Violence, and Culture, vols. 12-13: 159-182 (2007)
- B.A. French, Holy Cross College, 1964
- Ph.D. Romance Languages [French & Spanish], Johns Hopkins University, 1970
Courses Regularly Taught
- French Literature of 17th, 19th, 20th centuries
- French culture and civilization
- Masterpieces of European Literature and Comparative Literature (in translation)
- Editor-in-Chief of Contagion: Journal of Violence, Mimesis, and Culture, 1996-2006
- Host of French Club Activities
- Kairos Prison Ministry
-  http://www.imitatio.org/ This is an authoritative site on Girard's work and the research it has inspired across the human sciences and in neuroscience as well.
-  http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/news/accents.shtml Access to live French TV and radio broadcasts, some with texts to read while listening.
-  Anthropoetics: The Electronic Journal of Generative Anthropology
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/anthropoetics/home.html: This is one of the best social science/humanities research forums available, including chronicles on contemporary events from the perspective of a single, coherent theory.
-  http://theol.uibk.ac.at/cover/: This is the research hub for works about the theory of René Girard, one of France's -- and the world's -- most important thinkers.
-  The Raven Foundation http://www.ravenfoundation.org/: The best place to start for understanding the value and interest of mimetic theory for the public at large.