A selection committee composed of McNair staff and advisory committee will review and screen applications and participate in interviews in order to choose the candidates for the next cohort. The criteria used for selection will include the perception of the applicant’s potential to successfully pursue doctoral study, scheduling commitment to the program, the ability to conduct research during the summer months, plus federal guideline for eligibility.
- Applications open March 1; due April 1
- Finalists will be invited for an interview with the selection committee: April 15 – 22
- A decision will be announced by the end of April
- Selected McNair Scholars will be required to sign a Student Participation Commitment Letter
Completed application packet may be sent via electronic form to McNair@LUC.EDU. The application packet must include:
1. A completed McNair Application Form.
2. Personal Essay
Please include a 3 page statement, one inch margins, double space, and 12 point font. Address your interest in pursuing doctoral education, conducting research, and how research can contribute to the public good. Your essay is an opportunity to tell us about yourself, how the McNair Scholars Program can help you achieve furthering your academic career, and what your role is in advancing the goal to increase the attainment of Ph.D. degrees by students from underrepresented segments of society.
3. Two Signed Letters of Recommendation from Faculty
Letters of recommendation must be attached to the Faculty Recommendation Form.
4. Current undergraduate academic plan