BS in Mathematics (Education Track)
This track is a rigorous major intended to prepare and certify secondary mathematics teachers.
Students must fulfill the secondary education minor in the School of Education, must meet the State of Illinois certification requirements (which requires 3 exams), and must successfully complete the BS in Mathematics (Education Track).
Mathematics Course Requirements
- One year of Single Variable Calculus: Math 161 & Math 162
- Multivariable Calculus: Math 263
- Choose one of the two following courses:
- Linear Algebra: Math 212
- Elementary Number Theory: Math 201
- Probability & Statistics: Math/Stat 304
- History of Mathematics: Math 301
- Abstract Algebra: Math 313
- Combinatorics: Math 318
- Introduction to Game Theory: Math 360
- Geometry: Math 344
School of Education Requirements
The student must fulfill all School of Education (SOE) requirements for the major in education (click here for that information), including the State of Illinois testing requirements and the correct combination of courses.
The State of Illinois requires three statewide tests: General Basic Skills, Content Area Test, and the APT (Assessment of Professional Teaching). The State of Illinois administers these tests.
Visit the website for School of Education State of Illinois Testing Information for more information.