BUILDING A COMMUNITY OF LEGAL PROFESSIONALS
Externship Overview - Loyola Externship Program: Intensive Field Placements
The Loyola Externship Program is designed to provide students with practical experience under the supervision of a judge or attorney and a supervising attorney from the School of Law. This program provides students with the opportunity to develop practice ready and problem solving skills while working at an approved field placement outside of the classroom.
Students may select from a variety of externship opportunities. Students may earn 2 or 3 hours of academic credit per semester. A student may earn up to 8 hours of academic credit after completion of all required first year course work. Students who have secured an externship field placement are also required to enroll in an extern seminar course. This course has been designed to complement the field work performed by the student. This course incorporates and emphasizes professional responsibility and ethics in all classroom assignments and activities.
Externship field placement opportunities are available to all full-time law students who have successfully completed their first year of law school. Externship field placement opportunities are available to part-time law students who have successfully completed 28 credit hours. Certain approved sites may also have additional requirements which must be adhered to in order to apply to the site and to qualify for the externship field placement.
Externship Application Process:
The School of Law makes every effort to assist students throughout the school year in obtaining appropriate and approved externships. Information sessions, both group and individual are offered by Clinical Assistant Professor and Director of Experiential Learning Josie M. Gough each semester. During those sessions, students have the opportunity to learn about the various externship opportunities that are available to students, as well as the application process. A list of approved extern sites is included below, along with the internal School of Law internal application and Field Supervisor’s Participation Agreement. In most cases, students will contact the approved sites on their own. Contact information is included on the list of approved sites. Students should also monitor law school announcements and this website for new externship opportunities as they become available.
Students are expected to work at their extern field placement site a minimum of 110 hours in order to earn 2 academic credit hours and a minimum of 165 hours for 3 academic credit hours. The extern seminar course will be graded pass/fail. Additional information, including course descriptions of the various field placements may be found on the law school’s website: http://www.luc.edu/law/experiential/index.shtml
EXTERNSHIP - NEW SITES AND UPDATES
Please also see Law School Announcements for detailed information regarding new externship field placement opportunities.
- Mediation Services Extern - Spring 2016
- Merieux NutiSciences Corporation
- Saper Law Externship Opportunity
- Coast Guard Legal Internships
- Washington D.C. - Externship Intensive Field Placements - Summer 2016
- WEC Energy Group, Inc. (formerly Integrys Energy Group Inc.)
- USAO NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS
- Spring 2016 Externship Opportunity – Corporate
- Loyola University Health System Office of the General Counsel
- Baxter International
- Illinois Bankers Association
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY - Office of Associate Chief Counsel
- Illinois Department of Corrections Externship Program
- The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor, Region V (Chicago, IL)
- The Divisional General Counsel for GKN Aerospace & GKN Land Systems-Americas
- NEW EXTERNSHIP OPPORUTNITY-FALL 2015: U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Chicago Immigration Court
- Law Internship Opportunity - 1st District
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
- Externship Field Placement Program Information Sessions – SPRING 2016
Monday, August 31, 2015; Wednesday, September 9, 2015
- Information sessions for students interested in externships for the Spring 2016 will be offered several times during the semester. Attendance at one information session is mandatory. Times and locations of the information sessions will be announced through Law School Announcements.
- Externship Judicial Field Placement Collection Date – SPRING 2016
Wednesday, September 16, through Wednesday September 23, 2015
- Materials are collected through the Symplicity system pursuant to this schedule. The process will be discussed during the information sessions.
- Externship Field Placement Program Information Sessions – SUMMER 2016
Tuesday, January 19, 2016; Wednesday, January 20, 2016
- Information sessions for students interested in externships for Summer 2016. Attendance at one information session is mandatory. Times and locations of the information sessions will be announced through Law School Announcements.
- Externship Judicial Field Placement Collection Date – SUMMER 2016
Monday, January 25 through Wednesday, February 3, 2016
- Materials are collected through the Symplicity system pursuant to this Schedule. The process will be discussed during the information sessions.
- Part-time students are encouraged to contact Professor Gough to set up individual meeting to discuss externships and other experiential learning opportunities.
FORMS AND RELATED DOCUMENTS
- SYMPLICITY INSTRUCTIONS - SPRING 2016/JUDICIAL EXTERNSHIPS
- SPRING 2016 - EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION
- SPRING 2016 Externship Fast Facts
- SUPERVISOR’S PARTICATION AGREEMENT-LAW FIRMS
- SUPERVISOR’S PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT - ALL OTHER PLACEMENTS
EDUCATION LAW FIELD PLACEMENTS
Field placements at approved sites in the category of Education Law will no longer be offered through the Externship Program. Field placements and related opportunities will instead be offered solely through the Education Law Practicum. More information about the Education Law Practicum and the placement sites available can be found here: http://www.luc.edu/law/registrar/registration/courses/d_h.html.