Resources for 1Ls
The Office of Career Services is here to assist you in making the transition to a professional legal career. You may or may not have a clear idea of what you'd like to do with your law degree. We are here to help you identify and explore your skills and interests so that you can prepare yourself through a variety of practical experiences which will help you to set and achieve your goals. Choosing the law means choosing the profession, not a specific job. Whether you hope to practice law in a traditional legal setting or do something wildly alternative, we are here to help guide you.
The best ways for you to start:
1. Read the Where to Start resources on our website;
2. Read the 1L Timeline;
3. Read Career Planning 101, the handbook you received during orientation;
4. Browse the Office of Career Service's website, starting with the Job Search Resources page;
5. Meet with your career counselor to begin this journey.
Diverse 1Ls should also be sure to check out our list of 1L Law Firm Diversity Scholarships & Fellowships.
Questions? Check out the 1L Frequently Asked Questions page!
Services provided by our office include:
- One-on-one career counseling
- Small group resume & cover letter review sessions
- Interview preparation
- Programs on career choices in the public, private, and alternative sectors
- Access to books, periodicals, directories, newsletters, and online resources
- Online access to job postings