Documentation and Training
Support Resources to Help You Navigate Loyola's Move to Microsoft Exchange
- Please join us on Thursday, March 13, for the the ITS Tech Day Conference, a semi-annual event dedicated to information technologies, resources, and services at Loyola University Chicago and beyond.
- Loyola is currently evaluating an online, on-demand training service called Atomic Learning. For more information, or to join the pilot, please see the Atomic Learning Pilot page.
Using Email and Calendars:
- Outlook 2013 Quick Start.pdf
This four-page Microsoft-produced PDF can be printed or reviewed on screen. Screen shots show you where to find key elements, such as the folder lists, inbox, task ribbon, and calendar, and a list of common commands provides basic instructions.
- What's New in Outlook 2013
This short video from Microsoft provides a quick tour of the Outlook screen and highlights basic features.
- Basic Tasks in Outlook 2013
This web page from Microsoft provides a quick walk-through of the basic steps for your email, contacts, and calendar.
- Office 2013 Calendar Basics
This 15-minute video from Microsoft can be downloaded and viewed in PowerPoint. You'll learn about the different calendar views, how to create an appointment, sharing your calendar, and more. After downloading, click F5 or Play Slide Show to start.
- Create and Add an Email Message Signature
Signatures were not migrated as part of Loyola's email upgrade. This short web page from Microsoft shows how to re-create personalized signatures, including text, images, logos, or even an image of your handwritten signature.
- Working with the Address Book
The University’s global address book was migrated to Exchange, along with any personal contact lists you had created in GroupWise. This page includes a few tips for working with these contacts in Outlook.
- Outlook Notes for Former GroupWise Users
Though the transition to Outlook can be intuitive, you'll notice that some features are found in a different place or have slightly different functionality than in GroupWise. The list highlights a few of these differences.
- Reconnecting to a Shared Email Resource
If you've been given access to a shared mailbox or calendar, you may need to open it manually the first time you use it. This PDF provides step-by-step instructions for doing so.
- Setting Up Your Outlook Mailbox Manually
This PDF is for faculty and staff who wish to set up an Outlook mailbox on their own using the full desktop client (for example, if you have a non-imaged Windows machine on campus or if you have Outlook on a Windows laptop or desktop at home and wish to use it to access your Loyola email account). The instructions were created with Outlook 2013, but the process is similar if you’re using Outlook 2011 or 2007.
- Setting Up an Outlook 2011 Mailbox on a Mac
This PDF is for faculty and staff who wish to set up an Outlook 2011 mailbox on a Mac.
Using Messaging and Conferencing:
- Basic Tasks in Lync 2013
Lync provides instant messaging along with web, voice, and video conferencing. This series of web pages from Microsoft covers basic Lync tasks, such as adding contacts or sending an instant message.
- Quick Reference - Lync Meetings.pdf
This two-page PDF from Microsoft is a printable reference card with instructions for using Lync's audio and video conference features as well as the desktop sharing tool.
- Lync 2013 Quick Reference: IM, Presence, and Contacts
This two-page PDF from Microsoft is a printable reference card with instructions for using instant message and presence and for managing your contacts.
Using the New Voicemail System
- Getting Started with Loyola’s New Voicemail System
This eight-page PDF provides an introduction to Loyola’s new voicemail system, coming March 17, 2014.
- Unified Messaging Voicemail: Common Commands
This web page provides a chart of the most common voice and keypad commands for Loyola's new voicemail system, coming March 17, 2014.
- Unified Messaging Command Chart
This two-page PDF provides a complete list of voice and keypad commands for Loyola's new voicemail system, coming March 17, 2014.
Using Mobile Devices:
- Reconnecting Mobile Devices After the Email Upgrade
This page links to instructions for connecting your mobile device or tablet to your upgraded email account.
- Microsoft Lync 2013 for Mobile Clients
This page from Microsoft lists the mobile devices for which Lync 2013 mobile apps are available. Also included are links to resources that will help you get started with using Lync 2013 on your phone or tablet.
Just for HSD:
- Windows 7 and Office 2013 Documentation
This page is designed for faculty and staff within the Health Science Division who are receiving new PCs in advance of their March 2014 email upgrade. The documents and videos listed will help you get started with your new Windows 7 system and several of the Office 2013 programs that have been installed.
Just for Students:
- We held two student webinars as part of the migration. Recordings are available here: Office 365: Introduction to Outlook and Lync and here: Office 365: Introduction to SharePoint and SkyDrive.
- Forwarding Your Loyola Email to Another Account
This document provides instructions for forwarding your Loyola email to another account.
- Reconnecting to a Shared Email Resource
If you're a student and have been given access to a shared mailbox or calendar, you'll need to reconnect to it from within Outlook. This PDF provides step-by-step instructions for doing so.
- Getting Started in Outlook Web Apps
This article from Microsoft walks you through the basics for your mail, calendar, and contacts in Office 365 using the Outlook Web App.
- Get Started with SharePoint
SharePoint provides a single, integrated location where students can efficiently collaborate with team members and share knowledge. This document from Microsoft describes basic tasks and information to get you started.
- Sharing Office Documents with SkyDrive
SkyDrive is a cloud-based space where you can store, share, and edit documents. This short video from Microsoft provides a quick overview of features.