About Skype for Business: Instant Messaging
Formally known as Lync 2013
Instant messaging (IM) is an efficient way to connect with your contacts in real time and on a moment’s notice. Less formal than email, faster than a phone call—IM is tough to beat for speed and ease of use. You can send an IM from anywhere in Skype for Business where you see a contact. Just check that the vertical bar on the left side of the person’s picture is green, or the “available” label is displayed, both of which indicate they’re ready to receive.
You can also paste files and pictures directly into the IM, change font details (type, color, emphasis, size), mark your message as important, add emoticons, and have a conversation with several people at once.
Starting an IM Conversation
1. Locate the person you want to send an IM to, either through a search within the Outlook address book or from your Contacts list. Then do any one of the following:
- Double-click anywhere on their contact listing.
- Right-click their listing and click Send an IM.
- Pause on their picture in the Contacts list, and click the IM button on the Quick Skype for Business menu.
2. Type your message in the text field at bottom of the window.
3. Press Enter to send your IM.
- Send a file or a picture by doing one of the following:
- Drag and drop the file or picture from your computer into the message window.
- Copy and paste the file or picture from any Office program into the message window.
- Press PrtScn on your keyboard to capture an image directly from your screen, then paste it into the message window or text input area.
Note: Your sent message will show a small representation of the added file or picture. To open the file or see the picture at full size, the recipient clicks Save or Copy and transfer the file to their machine.
- Click the font icon (the capital “A”) to change the font style, size, emphasis, or color of your text.
- Click the emoticon icon (the smiley face) to see and choose from a selection of emoticons to add to your IM.
- Click the priority icon (the red exclamation point) to mark your IM as high importance.
Sending an IM to Several People at Once
- If the people you want to send the IM to appear as adjacent contacts in your Contacts list, press and hold the Shift key while you click the listing for each person. Then, click the IM icon that appears next to the last contact you select, type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter.
- If the people you want to send the IM to appear in the list as contacts who aren’t adjacent, press and hold the Ctrl key while you click them. Then, click the IM icon, type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter. Your IM will go to all the people you’ve selected.
Sending an IM to a Group
- Right-click the group name in your Contacts list, click Send an Instant Message, type your message at the bottom of the conversation window, and then press Enter. Your IM will go to all group members.
Responding to an IM
You have several options when someone sends you an IM.
- Accept the request and begin an IM conversation. Click anywhere on the picture display area of the request window. (You’ll see an Accept prompt as you point at the window.)
- Let the person know you’re too busy to be interrupted. Click the Options dropdown arrow and select Set to Do Not Disturb. Your presence status will immediately change to Do Not Disturb.
- Ignore the request. To close the request without sending an acknowledgement to the sender, click Ignore.