Re-Routing Loyola E-Mail
Why Re-Route Your Mail?
- You want to access all your e-mail in one place.
Official Loyola messages (whether from faculty or administration) are most often sent to your Loyola e-mail account (your e-mail address that ends in @luc.edu). If you prefer to use another e-mail service (e.g., Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL), re-route your Loyola e-mail to that account. Messages sent to your Loyola address will instead show up in your preferred account, ensuring you do not miss important Loyola mail.
- You prefer to use a non-Loyola e-mail account.
Every e-mail system offers different features. If you prefer the features of your non-Loyola account, re-route your Loyola e-mail to that system.
- You are leaving the University, temporarily or permanently.
If you graduate or leave Loyola permanently, re-routing your e-mail gives you a year to alert everyone to your new e-mail address. If you leave Loyola temporarily (e.g., to study abroad), re-route your e-mail to an easily accessible e-mail account, then route it back to your Loyola account when you return.
E-Mail Account Expiration Policies
- Students: Your Loyola computer ID and your GroupWise electronic mail account(s) will remain active for 180 days after you leave Loyola.
This means two things: 1) you can continue to use your Loyola ID and password to access Loyola networked resources from on campus, and Loyola Internet resources from off campus, and 2) electronic mail sent to your e-mail account, or re-routed to another account, will continue to show up in your mailbox for 180 days from your last day as a Loyola student.
Although we cannot extend your Loyola ID and e-mail privileges beyond 180 days, we can -- upon your request -- re-route (or continue to re-route) your mail for one full year beyond the 180-day deadline.
- Faculty and Staff: Your Loyola computer ID and your GroupWise electronic mail account(s) expire on the last day of your employment or affiliation with the University.
The expiration date can be extended on a case-by-case basis if you receive sponsorship from a Loyola administrator. Loyola also offers e-mail re-routing for faculty and staff. This service re-routes messages from your Loyola mailbox to your new e-mail account for one year.
Before You Re-Route
Only messages sent to your Loyola account after you re-route will be forwarded. If you want to read messages already sent to your Loyola account, you need to do so by accessing your Loyola e-mail system. If you want to keep any of these messages, you must save them to a disk or to the hard drive on your home computer. Read Saving E-Mail Messages to Disk for directions about saving mail.
Re-Routing Your Loyola E-Mail
GroupWise users: You must complete both steps below to ensure that all your Loyola e-mail is re-routed to another e-mail account. You must re-route your mail using the Personal Account Manager and set a forwarding rule for your Loyola mailbox.
Always give people your Loyola address in this format: email@example.com.
Step 1: The Personal Account Manager
Once you choose the e-mail system you want to use, re-route your Loyola mail with the Personal Account Manager (PAM). Detailed instructions can be found at http://www.luc.edu/its/pam_reroute.shtml
Note: If you are re-routing your e-mail back to your University e-mail program, then you must enter your full e-mail address in the "E-Mail Address" field.
GroupWise users: firstname.lastname@example.org
Continue giving your mail correspondents the shortened version of your address: email@example.com.
E-mail re-routing takes an hour to begin. Remember that re-routing only works on new messages; check your Loyola e-mail account for messages received before you re-routed.
Every time you switch e-mail providers while at Loyola, you must re-route your e-mail to your new address.
Step 2: Set an E-Mail Forwarding Rule
(GroupWise users only)
- Open your GroupWise account.
- Choose Tools | Rules from the menu bar. Click New.
- Type forward in the "Rule name:" field.
- Click the When event is drop-down menu. Choose New Item.
- Click "Received" and "Posted" in the "And items are:" list.
- Click the Add Action pop-up list and choose Forward. The Forward window opens.
- In the "To:" field, type your new e-mail address. In the "Subject:" field, type forwarded message.
DO NOT "CC:" or "BC:" your Loyola e-mail account.
- Click OK, then click Save.
If you have additional questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 8-4ITS on-campus or 773-508-7190 off-campus.