Create a Grade Center Item
1. In the Control Panel, select Grade Center > Full Grade Center.
2. Click Create Column. Do not choose Create Calculated Column as these types of columns are set up to calculate scores based on the values of other columns. You cannot add grades manually to a Calculated Column!
3. In the Create Grade Column page, give your column a name, e.g., Homework 3, in the Column Name box.
4. Type a Description of the column if you wish.
5. From the drop-down menu, choose how you want the column grading to be displayed, e.g., Score, Percentage, etc. in the Primary Display box. This is the how your students will see the grade. If you wish to see the grading in an additional, alternate format you can set the Secondary Display to that format; only the instructor sees the secondary display.
NOTE: Simply entering a Score for the column that uses the Primary Display of Percentage will not calculate the Percentage. To calculate a Score’s Percentage select Score from the Primary Display drop-down menu and select Percentage from the Secondary Display drop-down menu.
6. Choose a category for the item from the "Category:" drop-down menu if you are organizing your columns by category and/or if you are weighting your grades by category.
7. Assign point values to your column in the Points Possible field. In this case the Homework 3 item has been assigned 10 points.
8. If you wish, select the Due Date associated with that item; this is an optional choice. Either enter the date in the mm/dd/yyyy format or use the popup calendar to easily select a date. In the example below the Due Date has been set to May 18, 2011.
9. By default the item is both included in Grade Center calculations and available to users (your students will be able to see this column in My Grades). If you don’t want the item included in the Grade Center calculations, click on the No circle beside Include this column in Grade Center calculations. Similarly, if you don’t want your students to view the item in the Grade Center click on the No radio button beside Show this column in My Grades. By default the Statistics for the item are not available to students, e.g., average score, distribution of scores, etc., but can be made available by selecting Yes next to Show Statistics for this column to Students in My Grades.
10. Click Submit.