USING ITUNES U IN BLACKBOARD
There are four major steps to using iTunes U for your course:
Enabling iTunes in Blackboard creates a restricted iTunes area for your course – the area is not accessible to the public, only to those enrolled in your course.
1. Log into Blackboard and go to your course.
2. Go to the Control Panel.
3. Click on iTunes U in the Course Tools area.
4. Click the Enable button beside "Enable iTunes U" in the iTunes U Control Panel.
5. Click OK. You will receive an email confirming that you have a restricted iTunes U area.
Make a link for students in a content area; this is how students will access your iTunes U course area.
1. Go to the Course Menu and select the content area where you want the link for students.
2. From the Add Interactive Tool drop-down click on iTunes U Link.
3. Give the link a name, e.g. Media in iTunes and, optionally, a description.
4. From the Options, click on Yes to activate the link and make it available to students.
5. Click Submit to see the link you created – students will click on this link to go to your media content in iTunes U.
Go to the Control Panel and click on the link for iTunes U in the Course Tools area.
In the iTunes U Control Panel, click on the iTunes U button beside “Reveal in iTunes.”
If you see a pop up window asking you to allow opening a program on your computer, click Allow.
If you see another popup after that asking you to close the window, click Yes
This opens iTunes and takes you to your course, where you will see the name of your course at the top, and any files already uploaded at the bottom of the screen.
Commands that allow you to edit the page (e.g. add a course image, add a group area, etc.) and upload media files are on the right side of the screen.
Click Edit Page, and you will see a number of icons appearing on the screen, pointed out with callouts in the image below.
Click the pencil icon to edit the instructor’s name or description; then, click the checkmark icon to save your work.
Click the up arrow icon to upload a course image. iTunes displays the size requirement for a course image as 300 pixels wide by 300 pixels high; but you can upload any size and shape image and iTunes will resize it to fit. Filetype for a course image must be PNG, JPEG, or GIF.
Tabs are a way of organizing content. There are two tabs created by default in your course area, Group 1 and Group 2. To rename the tabs:
1. Click the pencil icon to the right of the tab name.
2. Highlight the current tab name.
3. Type the new name.
4. Press Enter or click the checkmark on the right side of the tab.
Tip: Rename your tabs by filetype (e.g. audio, video, PDF), category (e.g. lectures, assignments, homework) or topic (e.g. Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque), to make your content easy to find.
To add another tab, click the plus sign icon .
To delete a tab, click the delete icon .
To move a tab, click the arrow icon .
1. To upload a file, click on the "Upload and Manage Files" button.
2. Select the tab to upload to.
3. Click on Add New File and browse for the file to add.
4. The added file displays with icons on the right to replace or delete.
5. There also are options to delete or move the file in a dropdown list; click in the selection box for the file and choose the action you want from the dropdown list.
6. When you are finished adding, moving, or deleting media files, click Done.
7. To return to your Blackboard course, click File, then click Exit in iTunes. Close any extra "Loading" windows that may have opened in your browser.
For assistance with setting up your iTunes course, contact Blackboard@luc.edu.