Summary: This position provides general support for the 300 centrally controlled electronic classrooms and learning spaces. Responsibilities include completing regular checks of electronic spaces, troubleshooting equipment issues, delivering portable equipment, bridging video conferences, conducting tutorials, and providing other assistance as needed. Classroom Assistants may also be asked to support additional instructional systems and to help with research initiatives. To perform this job successfully, individuals must have good oral and written communication skills, a willingness to work as part of a team, and be highly motivated to support faculty with integrating technology into teaching and learning. Some technical experience is required.
- Completes regular checks of centrally controlled electronic classrooms and learning spaces; cleans presentation equipment and workstation areas
- Troubleshoots equipment problems and logs a daily check sheet; reports issues needing further assistance to ITRS staff
- Delivers and picks up portable presentation equipment for special VIP events
- Assists with video conference bridging between campus locations and outside sites
- Responds to phone and email requests promptly; follows up on requests in a timely matter
- Monitors the call logging system and updates tickets when appropriate
- Provides short tutorials on using instructional systems and classroom technology to university faculty, staff, and students
- Additional responsibilities as assigned which may include computer imaging, video recording, web conferencing, and live web streaming
Technical Skills: The position requires familiarity with a wide range of presentation equipment including projectors, video cameras, media players, interactive whiteboards, and portable devices such as laptops and tablets. Additional experience with any of the following is considered a plus: Adobe Connect, Sakai CLE, multimedia control systems, video conferencing systems, and clickers.
Reports to: Classroom Assistants receive daily directives from ITRS Classroom Technicians, Educational Technologists, and Technology Coordinators. All ITRS staff and student workers report to the Manager of Instructional Technology & Research Support.
Hours: Normal hours of operation are M-Th, 7:00AM to 9:00PM and F, 7:00AM to 7:00PM at LSC/WTC. A smaller staff operates on Saturdays, 8:00AM to 1:00PM. Students may work no more than 19.5 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. On average, a Classroom Assistant is scheduled for 10-15 hours per week. Additional hours may be available over breaks and the summer. During this time, students are allowed to log up to 37.5 hours per week.
Hiring: ITRS is always seeking new candidates. New hire training will be scheduled ASAP. Priority is given to candidates who are flexible with scheduling and open to working on both campuses. Federal Work Study (FWS) is not a requirement for this position. However, if a new hire is eligible FWS will be applied. Rate of pay commensurate with experience.