Track I: Spiritual Direction, Specialization in Ignatian Spirituality
Curriculum for the Ignatian Exercises Program at IPS
The Ignatian Exercises Program (IEP) at the Institute of Pastoral Studies is offered as part of the Master of Arts in Spirituality/Spiritual Direction (MASp) at Loyola University Chicago (LUC). It is offered as a specialization within the 36-credit hour Master of Arts/Track I: Spiritual Direction program, or as a specialization within the 18-credit hour Graduate Certificate Program in Spiritual Direction.
On the Masters level, the Ignatian Exercises Program (IEP) follows the established curriculum of the current MASp Track I: Spiritual Direction program of 36 credit hours (12 credit hours of Core Courses + 24 hours of course work in spiritual direction, ethics, and elective courses). In place of standard electives in Track I, however, participants in the IEP will take specialized Ignatian electives, including two courses in Ignatian Spirituality and a two-semester supervised Ignatian Practicum in directing the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola.
As an 18-credit hour specialized Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction, the IEP includes 6 courses: two courses in spirituality and spiritual direction praxis (428 & 429), two courses in Ignatian Spirituality, and a two-semester supervised Ignatian Practicum in directing the Spiritual Exercises.
Additionally, participants in the Ignatian Exercises Program (whether in MASp Track I, or in the Graduate Certificate Program) are required to make the full 30-day Ignatian retreat (i.e., the complete Ignatian Spiritual Exercises) in either the month-long format or the 19th Annotation format (i.e., the 30-week format, “The Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life”) prior to the year-long Practicum.
Requirements of the Ignatian Exercises Program (IEP)
The following requirements are applicable in both the MASp Track I: Spiritual Direction and the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction versions of the IEP:
In addition to the IPS application, applicants to the Graduate Certificate/IEP specialization must also complete an IEP Application, the IEP Recommendation Form, and an admission interview with the IEP director to begin to discern the charism for giving the Spiritual Exercises.
- Two 3-hr. courses in Ignatian Spirituality (Ignatian Spirituality I and II / 6 credit hours)
- A two-semester supervised Ignatian Practicum directing the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola in the 19th Annotation format (Ignatian Spiritual Direction Practicum I and II / 6 credit hours)
- The experience of the full 30-day Ignatian Spiritual Exercises retreat in either the month-long format or the 19th Annotation format (i.e., the 30-week format, “The Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life”) prior to the Practicum year
MASP TRACK I: Spiritual Direction/Ignatian Exercises Program (IEP)
Note: ideally, either the 30-day/one-month or the 30-week/19th Annotation experience of the Spiritual Exercises (aka. “The Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life”) will be completed before or during the first year of the Track I: Spiritual Direction / IEP Program. It must be completed before the Practicum year. A spiritual director will be provided through IPS for the 19thAnnotation retreat, or the participant in the IEP can suggest a director, provided the director knows and has directed the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola. The experience of the 30-day or 30-week version of the complete Spiritual Exercises will count for 2 units (semesters) of required non-credit Personal Spiritual Direction in the IEP (see this requirement below).
Core Courses: 4 3-hour courses (12 hours)
- Foundations of Christian Spirituality (IPS 545)
- Biblical Foundations (IPS 416 – Christian Origins or IPS 417 – Literature of Ancient Israel)
- Theological Foundations (IPS 531 – Christian Doctrine)
- Psychological Foundations (IPS 555 – Human Person and Psychological Development)
Track I: Spiritual Direction / The Ignatian Exercises Program:
7 3-hr. required courses * (added to 4 Core Courses) / 3 hrs. of electives / plus 4 units (semesters) of non-credit personal spiritual direction with a spiritual director that is familiar with the Spiritual Exercises
- Introduction to Spirituality Praxis (IPS 428 – Fall only) *
- Advanced Spiritual Direction Praxis (IPS 429 – Spring only / 428 prerequisite) *
- Ethics of Pastoral Counseling and Spiritual Direction (IPS 512) *
- Ignatian Spirituality I: Hearts on Fire (Fall only)*
- Ignatian Spirituality II: Discernment, Ignatian Prayer, and Social Justice (Spring only/Ignatian Spirituality I prerequisite)*
- Ignatian Spiritual Direction Practicum I (Fall only / 428 & 429, and Ignatian Spirituality I & II prerequisites) *
- Ignatian Spiritual Direction Practicum II (Spring only / Ignatian Spiritual Direction Practicum I prerequisite) *
- 3 hrs. of Electives
- Personal Spiritual Direction (4 units/semesters).** For IEP students, 2 units are achieved by making the complete Spiritual Exercises
** For Personal Spiritual Direction the following Confirmation Form must be returned to Susann
Ozuk for your file in each of 4 semesters:
Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction/Ignatian Exercises Program (IEP)
IPS offers a 6-course, 18-hour Graduate Certificate Program in Spiritual Direction in the tradition of Ignatian spirituality and the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), the founder of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits). This certificate program is suited to applicants who desire training in spiritual direction as well as knowledge and practical skill in directing the Spiritual Exercises.
The certificate program is designed for those applicants who hold a masters or other advanced degree in theology or ministerial studies, or a masters or other advanced degree in psychology, counseling, or psychiatric social work.
Click here for more information about the Ignatian Exercises Program / Certificate.