Manager Resources, Sample Reference Check Questions
- Introduce yourself to the reference and why you are phoning.
- Describe the general requirements of the position
- Report any flags to Chair of search and HR, if needed
Sample Reference Check Questions
- How long have you known X and in what capacity?
- Describe the candidate's overall work performance in terms of skills, qualities and contributions to your organization.
- What are X’s strengths and areas for development?
- What are X’s unique qualities?
- How would you describe X’s ability to engage a group of college students in a class, workshop or presentation?
- How would you compare the performance of X with that of others who have held the same job?
- Please describe overall work / performance in terms of in terms of attitude, dependability and trustworthiness.
- Is X someone you would hire (again)?
- Why did x leave your organization?
- Is there any additional information that you feel we should know in considering (x) for employment?