Manager Resources, Sample Interview Questions for Managerial Positions
Decision Making Questions
1. At which point do you find it necessary to bring others into your decision-making process? Why?
2. Describe your approach to making decisions and solving problems. Why do you do it this way?
3. When you recommend something to management, what approach do you usually use?
4. How do you assemble relevant data to make your decisions? How do you know you have enough data?
5. How much leeway do you give your employees to make decisions? How do you still maintain control?
2. How do make sure that your employees are accountable?
3. What operating systems do you use to monitor and maintain control of your area of accountability?
4. What do you typically do when you hear of a problem in your area? Explain?
5. How useful have you found written procedures and guidelines in helping you manage your area?
6. Do you feel that the chain of command is important? Why? When do you feel it might inhibit organizational effectiveness?
Writing Skills Questions
2. How do you keep track of incoming and outgoing correspondence?
3. What do you see as the difference in writing strategy for a report vs. memo vs. a letter?
2. Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize limited resources? How? What worked and what did not?
2. How do you use power or authority to get what you want done?
3. How do you delegate responsibility for an assignment? Who do you choose? What and how do you delegate, and what do you monitor and follow up?
4. How do you describe your management style?
2. What sort of performance standards have you held Employees to? Were they written?
3. How often do you evaluate your employees?
4. How do you get your employees involved in their own evaluation?
5. How do you evaluate your department’s overall performance?
6. When you evaluate someone’s performance verbally, what approach do you take?
7. How do you plan for performance improvements?
8. How do you measure performance in your area?
2. How do you help your employees become committed to a job or to the organization?
3. How do you deal with an “attitude” problem?
4. How often do you think it is necessary to meet with your employees?
5. How have you handled “complainers?”
6. How do you deal with an employee who needs to be disciplined? Explain your strategy.
7. What sort of employee training do you think is necessary to offer?
8. How do you handle a, personnel situation, which might have a, potential legal impact?
9. How do you develop trust and loyalty in your employee?
1. How far in advance do you typically plan activities for yourself and your employees?
2. How do you assess priorities? How do you then assign them?
1. How would you deal with “politics” in a work place?
2. What would you describe as an effective staff meeting? Ineffective?
3. How do you typically get cooperation from someone in another department?
4. Have you had to make an oral presentation to other managers? Explain.