All Staff employees are assigned to positions with accountabilities described in writing and classified in categories defined as Exempt, Professional Hourly, or Non-Exempt. Exempt employees are not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
This policy establishes the appropriate pay practices for exempt, and professional hourly non-exempt staff employees.
All staff employees, assigned to regular full- or part-time positions, temporary or casual, who are paid by Loyola or any of its subsidiaries are covered by this policy.
Notwithstanding the provisions of any other policy or practice, employees classified by the University as exempt are paid a weekly salary irrespective of the time required to complete their work and unaffected by any measures of the quality or quantity of the services rendered.
Pay practices for full- and part-time exempt employees include the following:
- Payments of a full day's salary (the applicable percentage of the weekly salary) not withstanding actual hours worked. There is no premium for extra hours of work nor any deduction for partial-day absences.
- The agreed-upon weekly salary will be paid if, by employer decision, an exempt employee is asked not to report to work any day(s) of the week.
- Hours worked are not recorded on a timecard or time sheet.
- Disciplinary action, such as suspension, will not decrease the weekly salary.
- An employee will receive the agreed-upon weekly salary for any week in which a designated holiday falls, provided he/she works or is paid through time-off banks for any part of the week.
- The appropriate yearly bank of paid time off will be credited on the first day of the month following the employment anniversary date.
- Only whole days will be deducted from paid time off banks corresponding to a percentage of the weekly salary.
- Any approved premium pay, such as on-call, will be paid monthly, not to be calculated on an hourly basis.
Pay practices for professional hourly and non-exempt employees include the following:
- Payment for hours worked including overtime after 40 hours in a work-week at 1 1/2 times the regular hourly rate.
- All hours worked must be recorded daily on a timecard or time sheet.
- Disciplinary action may include suspension without pay during a work week.
- Except for part-time non-exempt employees, holidays will be paid if an employee either works or is paid from time-off banks for the regularly scheduled work day before and after the holiday.
- For eligible full-and part-time employees, sick and vacation time will accrue monthly at hourly rates and may be deducted from accrued banks in 15-minute units.
- For eligible employees, all premium pays will be calculated on an hourly basis.
Administrative Directors, Department Heads, Managers and Supervisors will attempt to:
- Inform all employees of the provisions of this policy.
- Keep departmental records of the calendar days paid to each exempt employee from sick, vacation, personal, or bonus banks.
- Authorize, by signature, the payment of each exempt employee's weekly salary and sign a timecard for other employees.
- Inform Campus Human Resources concerning any issues arising from the implementation of this policy.