Benefits of Honors
The rigor and challenge of the Honors Program has led some students to ask about its advantages. Below are some benefits of the Program as noted by current students and alumni of the Program:
- A marked improvement in analytical and writing skills
- Preparation for graduate level work
- Becoming well-rounded, culturally literate individuals
- Small class sizes that encourage relationships between students and faculty
- Community and camaraderie between students in the Program
- Priority registration status
Current Student and Alumni Testimonials
"Being part of the Interdisciplinary Honors Program has definitely shaped my academic life at Loyola. I have had the opportunity to take classes with incredible professors that I would not have ever met and to choose from interesting and engaging courses outside of my field of study. But the Honors Program has also added to my life outside of my academics. I met my best friends through this program and have the opportunity to share honors classes, study sessions, and honors projects with them."
- Martha Hawkinson, Spanish and Psychology Majors; Class of 2014
“I am a fan of the Honors Program - I never would have read Nietzsche or Hobbes if it weren’t for Honors. I was asked about the Honors Program in medical school interviews and I spoke about how it made me a more well-rounded student.”
- Michelle Leahy, Spanish major, Class of 2011; Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Class of 2015
"The Honors Program allowed me to take humanities classes that were not required by- but complemented- my major. In fact, they would complement any major. In further fact, my fellow Honors students really cared about the material we were reading and wanted to discuss it, in and outside of class."
- Peter Kobak, Political Science Major; Class of 2013
“There is an emphasis on well-roundedness in medical school admissions. I felt like the Honors Program helped set me apart.”
- Jim Dunneback, Biology major, Class of 2011; Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Class of 2015
"The Honors Program has been one of my most rewarding experiences at Loyola. The courses were my favorites each semester, and the freshman seminar truly revolutionized the way I think. Please thank the entire Honors staff for such an academically challenging, stimulating, and enlightening program."
- Emily Barry, Political Science Major; Class of 2013