Permanent Budget Transfer Request Form Instructions
Budget Transfers (BF)
Changes made via a Permanent Budget Transfer will apply to the current fiscal year and all subsequent fiscal years. To make a Temporary Budget Transfer, use the ‘BA -Temporary Budget Transfer Form.’
These instructions are to be used in combination with the ‘perm_budamnd.xls' file for the purposes of transferring BUDGETED (NOT EXPENDED) amounts among NON-GRANT accounting units. (Use the ‘Appropriation Transfer Request’ procedures for 5xxxxx accounting units).
The Permanent Budget Transfer Request form is used to transfer budgeted amounts (budgeted funds not yet spent) to different accounts. To transfer expended amounts (funds already spent), use the ‘Expense Transfer Form.’ Generally, if amounts need to be transferred between an operating (1xxxxx) accounting unit and any other non-operating accounting unit (e.g. 66xxxx, 67xxxx, etc.), an expense transfer is required.
- Submission must be reviewed and approved by Business Managers.
- Entry descriptions should be clear.
- Position number should be listed for salary related transfers.
- Budget should be verified for availability of funds prior to BA submission.
- All submissions should be electronic. Send all BFs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific Form Instructions:
- After opening the form, click ‘Enable Macros’, if prompted.
- In the header portion of the form (top left corner), enter the Fiscal Year in 4-digit format.
- For a permanent transfer, enter “200” in the ‘Budget Number’ field. A permanent transfer updates Lawson budget 200 and budget 1.
- Starting in cell B16, enter a 6-digit Accounting Unit in the ‘Accounting Unit’ field.
- Enter a 4-digit account number in the ‘Account’ field.
- Enter the adjustment amount in the ‘Amount’ field. This is the amount that the current budget will be increased or decreased. If the accounting unit/account combination on the same line should be decreased, enter a negative sign (-) in front of the adjustment amount. If the accounting unit/account combination should be increased, simply enter the amount in the Amount field.
- Enter a meaningful description for the transfer for each line into the ‘Description’ field.
- Continue entering data into the lines as needed. If you are transferring a budget for multiple accounting unit/account combinations, confirm that your totals balance to zero before submitting the form for approval. This can be verified by checking the value calculated in the ‘Control Totals’ field located at the top of the form. Once all lines have been entered, the ‘Control Totals’ field should equal zero.
- Enter Approval names in the top right corner
- If supporting documentation is required, print the form, attach the supporting documents, and send it by surface mail to your budget administrator for approval. After approving, that person should send it to Financial Planning.
- If no supporting documentation is required, you may use Email to complete the transaction. To send the form electronically, click the ‘CLICK HERE TO SEND BUDGET AMENDMENT’ button at the top of the form. An email message will pop up with the Permanent Budget Transfer attached. You can send the message and attachment to your Budget Administrator for approval if necessary, or you can send it directly to Financial Planning by entering ‘BudgetingSalaryControl’ in the TO: field.
Open the attachment to the Email. If you approve the transfer request, enter your name and date on the ‘Approval’ lines. Then send the form to Financial Planning by clicking on the ‘CLICK HERE TO SEND BUDGET AMENDMENT’ button. GroupWise will open, enter ‘BudgetingSalaryControl’ in the TO: field, and click ‘send’.
If you do not approve the request, do not send the Budget Transfer to Financial Planning. Return the form to the requestor and communicate your reasons for not approving.