Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

Financial Aid Office

Veterans Educational Benefits

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) participates in all applicable federal programs for veterans, servicepersons and their dependents. We encourage all persons that are potentially eligible for these benefits to apply. However, the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) or other agency, as appropriate, makes the final determination of eligibility. You must be a degree-seeking student (matriculated into an approved degree or certificate program) in order to receive these education benefits.

Note: Loyola University Chicago does not participate in the Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) Program. IVG is only available at Illinois public institutions.

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 provides additional benefits for serviceperson who served on active duty after September 10, 2001.  Click here to learn more about these benefits.

Mr. Robert Young from the Illinois State Veteran's Approving Agency presented on the New Post 9/11 GI Bill. Please see the following Power Point for the details of his presentation.

   New Benefit Applicants:
3 Easy Steps to Getting Your Benefits Started

You can obtain these forms from http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp or in person at our office. Submit the form along with one of the following supporting documents to OSFA:

Step 2: Determining Your Eligibility

OSFA will mail your forms along with a Form 22-1999 Enrollment Certification to the VA so that they can determine your eligibility for benefits. Once the VA has processed (and approved) your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (Form 22-0557) from their office in response to your request. This process will take about 45 days. Your payment should arrive around the same time.

Step 3: Sending a Copy to OSFA

After you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, send a copy to OSFA, attention VA Coordinator.


Transferring Benefit Applicants

Students who have utilized benefits at another institution must submit a signed:

Submit these to OSFA. Change forms do not require accompanying documents. We will retain these forms and submit Form 22-1999 Enrollment Certification electronically to the VA so that they can resume payment of your benefits.


Continuing Students Receiving Benefits

OSFA will certify your continued enrollment electronically to the VA, beginning two weeks before the term begins.  Enrolled veterans receive an email to their Loyola email address to confirm the certification to the VA (Forms 22-1999 are filed electronically from Loyola to the VA). Email our office if you change enrollment, withdraw, or if your benefits are going to expire.


Enrollment Changes

VA regulations require that you immediately notify OSFA if you change your address or withdraw from any class. Discussing enrollment changes with OSFA may help avoid a potential loss of benefits


Direct Deposit (Chapters 30 or 1606)

You can get payments more quickly with direct deposit. We strongly encourage you to use direct deposit, if possible. For information, call toll-free 877.838.2778.


Verifying Your Attendance (Chapter 30 only)

You will receive a VA Form 22-8979, Student Verification of Enrollment, each month. You will not receive payment until VA receives your verification. You can complete your verification one of three ways:

Note: If you are unable to use the telephone system, you must complete the paper verification form and return it to VARO. After processing your verification, they will release a payment if appropriate.


Other Financial Assistance at Loyola

Students are strongly encouraged to apply for financial assistance. We recommend that all students file a FAFSA for each school year. You can file this form online at www.fafsa.ed.gov or with a paper form (available at the OSFA). Be sure to list the Loyola Title IV School Code (001710) as a school choice on the FAFSA. In order to be considered for most types of financial assistance, you must be enrolled at least half-time (typically six undergraduate- or four graduate-level hours) in a degree-seeking program.

Note: Veterans benefits are incorporated into your total aid eligibility. Therefore, your eligibility for other types of educational assistance may be impacted as a result of receiving these benefits.


Veteran Contacts

Loyola Office of Student Financial Assistance
E-mail: vetfinaid@luc.edu
Phone: 773.508.7704
Fax: 773.508.3397

Veterans Education Benefits (Chapter 30, 32, 35, & 1606)
Veteran's Affairs Regional Office (VARO)
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Phone: 888.442.4551
Fax: 314.589.9785
Web: www.gibill.va.gov

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
Department of Veteran Affairs
536 S. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60605
Phone: 312.353.7224
Fax: 312.886.2794


Financial Aid Office · Sullivan Center · 6339 N. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660 · 773.508.7704 · lufinaid@luc.edu
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy