Expectations of Faculty Performance
The course syllabus and goals statements explain to students what expectations a professor has for all students. But what performance and behavior can students expect from their professors? When outlining expected behaviors for students, consider including what students can expect in return.
Best Practices in Faculty Teaching Performance
- Provide a syllabus that articulates expected behaviors, performance standards, goals and outcomes, policies and an overview of assignments.
- Statement of availability: office hours, phone number, email.
- Include when students should contact faculty and how long students should expect to wait for a reply.
- Prompt grading and return of assignments.
- Up-to-date information on course content.
- Course content accessible for review.
- Assignments and tests reflect the major principles listed in course objectives and outcomes.
Additional Considerations for Online Courses:
- Clear statement of faculty member's role as facilitator.
- Communicate regularly with the class and with groups.
- Create an open community of learners.
- Employ active learning strategies to engage online learners.
- Flexibility in interpretation of assignments.