Damen Student Organization Award
The Damen Award is named for Loyola University Chicago's founder, Arnold Damen, S.J. It seeks to honor student organizations that, throughout the year, have been a true source of inspiration and leadership to the Loyola community by committing themselves to Jesuit ideals. These organizations have fostered and encouraged individuals to lead with spirit, motivation and purpose.
Damen Student Organization Award Criteria & Selection Process
- Any currently registered student organization or sponsored student organization at Loyola University Chicago is eligible.
- For details on registration, see: http://www.luc.edu/saga/orgs/.
- Nominee must be nominated by faculty, staff, students, administrators, community members.
- Community member nominations will be collected and entered manually.
- Maximum of two registered student organization and one sponsored student organizations will be recognized each year.
- No student organization may receive award for two consecutive years.
- Student Activities & Greek Affairs and Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution screens applications to determine if there are any conduct or compliance issues; Student organization with serious conduct or compliance issues are screened out.
- The Vice President for Student Development and the Division of Student Development staff vet the nominee list further, using the rubrics below, determining who will be finalists.
- Loyola undergraduate students vote on finalists.
- The Vice President for Student Development screens the final roster to achieve balance based upon race, ethnicity, religion, major, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Click the following to read the 2015 Excellence Awards Committee Committee Principle of Ethics.
- Note: Campaigning for votes will disqualify you or your organization as a candidate for the 2013-2014 Damen Awards. Campaigning by the nominee or via proxy, includes but is not limited to: banners, flyers, social media posts, mass emails, and similar forms of publicity.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Faith in God and the religious experience.
- Service that promotes justice.
- Values-based leadership.
- Global awareness.
For more information on Jesuit Ideals, please see The Value of a Jesuit Education.
|Rubrics for Damen Student Organization Awards|
|1- Limited||2- Moderate||3- Extensive||4- Excellent|
|Source of Inspiration to the Loyola Community (Institutional Pride & Community Building)||Inconsistent demonstration institutional pride.||Moderate encouragement of institutional pride or community building.||Fosters a sense of institutional pride and community building.||Fosters a sense of institutional pride and community building and encourages other organizations to do the same.|
|Source of Leadership to the Loyola Community (Role Modeling)||Limited demonstrated of leadership/ role modeling within the Loyola community.||Some ability to articulate what leadership in Loyola community means, but does not consistently model leadership.||Consistently demonstrates leadership abilities in the Loyola community.||Consistent source of leadership in Loyola community and partners with other organizations in developing opportunities.|
|Advancement of Loyola's Mission||
Limited demonstration of advancing Loyola’s mission through programs, activities, and/ or services.
|Moderate demonstration of advancing Loyola’s mission through programs, activities, and/ or services.||Extensive demonstration of advancing Loyola’s mission through programs, activities, and/ or services.||Consistent and in-depth demonstration of advancing Loyola’s mission through programs, activities, and services, and partners with other organizations or community members.|
Questions? Please contact ExcellenceAwards@luc.edu or 312-915-6233.