M.Ed. in Middle School Mathematics Education
Total Hours: 36
Length of Program
The program is designed for certified teachers who complete the program as part of a cohort. A cohort is a group of students who attend together all of the classes required for the degree. The course load each semester is 4-6 hours dependent upon the sequence of the program. The program is completed within 3 years. (See SOE Policy: Time Limit for Degree Completion)
The program requires 36 hours semester hours (12 classes)—18 hours in mathematics and 18 hours in education—and completion of a comprehensive portfolio at the end of coursework.
Master's students in Middle School Mathematics Education are required to maintain the status of continuous enrollment during their program of studies. This means that during each semester of each academic year (excluding Summer Sessions), each student must enroll in at least one course. (See SOE Policy: Academic Standing - Continuous Enrollment)
A formal leave of absence may be granted upon request and the approval of the School of Education’s Associate Dean of Student Academic Services.
Candidates in all programs leading to Illinois certification are required to pass an Illinois State Criminal Background Check.
Students who do not have the state required middle grade courses will need two additional courses:
- CIEP 446 Middle School Theory and Practice
- CPSY 454 Human Development: Educational Implications.
Required Courses (36 semester hours)
- CIEP M80 - Methods and Materials for Middle Grade Mathematics Instruction
- CIEP 423 - Advanced Literacy in the Content Area
- CIEP 443 - Evidenced-Based Practices in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- CIEP 475 - Curriculum Workshop: Implementing Middle School Math Program
- CIEP 488 - Using Assessment Data and Action Research to Improve Instruction and the Curriculum
- RMTD 400 - Introduction to Research
- MATH 464L - History of Mathematics emphasizing Science Contributions for Middle Grade Teachers
- MATH 465L - Number Theory with Science Applications for the Middle School Grades
- MATH 466L - Geometry with Science Applications for the Middle School Grades
- MATH 467L - Algebra with Science Applications for the Middle School Grades
- MATH 468L - Probability and Statistics with Science Applications for the Middle School Grades
- MATH 469L - Mathematics Infused with Science Applications for the Middle School Grades
A Comprehensive Portfolio is required. Students will be made aware of the requirements during the required courses in the program. The Portfolio format will be presented during CIEP 488. No application is required. Program faculty will notify students of results.
While the commencement ceremony is every May, degrees can be conferred May, August, and December. Students must apply for graduation/degree conferral. Students should apply for graduation in the semester they anticipate completing all degree requirements. Failure to meet application deadlines may result in a delay of the conferral of the degree to the following semester. Applications for Degree Conferral are due:
- August 1 for December conferral
- December 1 for May conferral
- February 1 for August conferral
Please note the degree conferral application is valid for only one semester. If the degree is not conferred for the semester requested, a new application is required for a subsequent semester.