Type 75 - Superintendent - Cert.
Individuals are eligible to enroll with: 1) a master's or doctoral degree and an Illinois Type 75 Principal Certificate, or the comparable certificate from another state, and 2) two years' school supervisory or administrative experience as defined by the Illinois State Board of Education.
The program requires 33 semester hours (10 courses plus a practicum). The number and distribution of required courses depend on the student's previous graduate work in areas applicable to certification requirements.
Students in certification only programs are required to maintain the status of continuous enrollment during their program of studies. This means that during each semester of each academic year (excluding Summer Sessions), each student must enroll in at least one course. (See SOE Policy: Academic Standing - Continuous Enrollment)
A formal leave of absence may be granted upon request and the approval of the School of Education’s Associate Dean of Student Academic Services.
Candidates in all programs leading to Illinois certification are required to pass an Illinois Test of Basic Skills, the appropriate certification exam, and a State Criminal Background Check.
Governance of Public Schools (6 hours)
- ELPS 560 - Seminar in School Administration* OR
ELPS 561 - Seminar in Current Issues in Administration* OR
ELPS 465 - Workshop* (variable topics; superintendency)
- ELPS 461 - Issues in School Law* OR
ELPS 467 - School Law and Government*
Management of Public Schools (9 hours)
- ELPS 468 - Problems in School Finance and Business Management*
- ELPS 472 - Administration of Special Education and Pupil Services*
- ELPS 571 - Issues in Supervision*
Educational Planning (6 hours)
- ELPS 475 - Human Resources for the School District Leader*
- Elective, as approved by advisor
Electives (9 hours)
- ELPS 465 - Instructional Leadership: Equity and Justice
- ELPS 465 - Instructional Leadership: Cultural Context for Informed Decision-Making (Rome)
- Electives, as approved by advisor
Clinical Experience (3 hours)
- ELPS 562 - School Administration Practicum*
* These courses must be taken at Loyola.