Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

School of Education


Community Counseling - M.A., M.Ed.


For answers to more FAQs about the School of Education, see the general FAQs page.

  • What is the difference between the M.A. and M.Ed. degree programs in Community Counseling?
  • Which program is right for me?
  • Can I get my license as a professional counselor after finishing the M.Ed. in Community Counseling?
  • Can I get my license as a professional counselor after finishing the M.A. in Community Counseling?
  • What are the state's latest licensure changes?

The M.A. is for those who intend to pursue a Ph.D. in the future and are not interested in master's-level practice. The M.A. program does not lead to master's-level licensing. Rather, it prepares students for acceptance into doctoral programs in counseling psychology, counselor education or related fields. The M.Ed. is designed for those who wish to engage in counseling practice with a master's degree. The M.Ed. is the program to which persons would apply who are interested in becoming licensed for master's-level practice, regardless of whether or not they are considering doctoral education in the future.

Both programs require 48 semester hours of coursework, including 27 semester hours of core courses and 6 semester hours of practicum and internship experience. The M.Ed. program requires students to take specialty coursework related to community counseling practice. The M.A. program requires specialty coursework in research methods and statistics. Students enrolled in the M.A. program are also required to participate on a faculty member's research team for at least one semester.

That depends on whether you want to become licensed for master's-level practice. If you do, you should apply for the M.Ed. program, whether or not you might eventually pursue doctoral work. If you intend to forgo master's-level licensing for later licensing for doctoral-level practice, you should apply for the M.A. program.

The M.Ed. program in Community Counseling is approved by the State of Illinois as a professional counselor training program. Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for licensing as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Illinois upon graduation. Graduates are eligible to apply for licensing as a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in Illinois after receiving two years of post-degree supervised experience. For the licensing exam click here.

You are not eligible for professional counselor licensing in Illinois with the M.A. degree. You can, however, be eligible for a license by taking extra coursework and an additional 250 hours of practicum and internship (CPSY 440).

Click on the following for licensure updates and additional information:
effective April 12, 2012


School of Education
820 N. Michigan Ave., Lewis Towers 11th Floor
Chicago, IL 60611
312.915.6800 ยท SchlEduc@luc.edu

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy