State of Illinois Testing Requirements
- Elementary Education (MEd)
- Reading Specialist (MEd)
- School Technology (MEd)
- Secondary Education (MEd)
- Special Education (MEd)
To be licensed by the State of Illinois, teacher candidates must receive passing scores on a minimum of three tests prepared by the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ELIS). It consists of three parts:
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) formerly known as the Basic Skills test (typically required at a time of admissions for teacher preparation) Instructions for submitting proof of completion.
- Content-Area test in the major discipline:
- Required at the time of admission for MEd Secondary Education majors
- All other programs require the exam prior to student teaching
- An Assessment of Professional Teaching test, endoresment level specific (required prior to issuance of the license)
- Early Childhood - Birth to Grade 3
- Elementary - K-9
- Secondary - 6-12
- Special (Foreign Language and Special Education) - K-12
Special Education majors are required to pass a fourth test, the Special Education General Curriculum Test, prior to issuance of the license.
Foreign Language - Spanish, French, Italian - content areas must also pass the Oral Proficiency Interview.
Teacher candidates should consult their advisor for the appropriate time to take each test.
- School Counselors
- School Psychologists
- School Principals
- School Social Workers
All programs require a Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) formerly known as Basic Skills (if not previously taken for an Illinois license) and a Content Exam by the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ELIS). Check with individual programs for testing requirements.
TheTAP test is required for all subsequent endorsements (early childhood, elementary, secondary, special education, principal, etc.) if you were issued an Illinois license based on passing another state's test of basic skills. Section 25.720
Candidates for admission to licensure programs may apply using the ACT/SAT scores that meet the following requirements:
- Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030. The writing subtest must have been taken for each test.
- Not have failed the TAP five times.
- The official score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of this application and submission to ISBE.
Candidates who wish to apply the ACT/SAT scores must:
- Follow steps 1-3 of these instructions to create an account in ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System)
- If using the ACT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. Their institutional code is 3001.
- If using the SAT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. ISBE does not currently have specific code.
- ISBE will destroy score reports if an ELIS account is not activated within 30 days of receiving the official score report.
ICCB basic skills test preparation for TAP is managed by the Illinois Community College Board.
The BST-Prep's purpose is to assist education students in becoming familiar with the Illinois Learning Standards and to develop the competencies necessary to successfully pass the TAP test. This study guide is divided into 18 different lessons. Each lesson provides users with detailed information about each standard and learning activities that will reinforce the concepts being presented. In addition, there are learning reviews and a post test which closely resembles the TAP.
Individuals will need to select "Register Student" above the Login box.
- Use Loyola's "Institution's Passcode": PRGWIHEP8X
(This is case sensitive. Best to copy and paste.)
After registering, you will be assigned a username and password to login and will then be asked to reset your password when you login the first time.
Other links provided by Western Illinois University:
- Preparing for a Multiple-Choice Exam
- Suggestions for Preparing for the Mathematics Portion
- PFD Boot Camp Online
- Grammar Tutorial
Additional test preparation:
- Study guides and sample tests are available on the ICTS website