State of Illinois Testing Requirements
- Bilingual Education (BSEd)
- Early Childhood Special Education (BSEd)
- Elementary Education (BSEd)
- Math Education (BSEd)
- Secondary Education (BSEd)
- Science Education (BSEd)
- Special Education (BSEd)
To be certified by the State of Illinois, teacher candidates must receive passing scores on a minimum of three tests prepared by the Illinois Certification Testing System. It consists of three parts:
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) formerly known as the Basic Skills test (typically required at a time of admissions for teacher preparation)
- Content-Area test in the major discipline:
- Required at the time of admission for MEd secondary education majors
- All other programs require the exam prior to student teaching
- An Assessment of Professional Teaching test, certificate level specific (required prior to issuance of the certificate)
Special Education majors are required to pass a fourth test, the Special Education General Curriculum Test, prior to issuance of the certificate.
Foreign Language - Spanish, French, Italian - majors must also pass a fourth requirement, the Oral Proficiency Interview.
Bilingual/Bicultural majors are required to pass a fourth requirement, the Oral Proficiency Interview, in Spanish.
Teacher candidates should consult their advisor for the appropriate time to take each test.
ICCB basic skills test preparation for TAP is managed by the Illinois Community College Board.
The BST-Prep's purpose is to assist education students in becoming familiar with the Illinois Learning Standards and to develop the competencies necessary to successfully pass the TAP test. This study guide is divided into 18 different lessons. Each lesson provides users with detailed information about each standard and learning activities that will reinforce the concepts being presented. In addition, there are learning reviews and a post test which closely resembles the TAP.
Individuals will need to select "Register Student" above the Login box.
- Use Loyola's "Institution's Passcode": PRGWIHEP8X
(This is case sensitive. Best to copy and paste.)
After registering, you will be assigned a username and password to login and will then be asked to reset your password when you login the first time.
Other links provided by Western Illinois University:
- Preparing for a Multiple-Choice Exam
- Suggestions for Preparing for the Mathematics Portion
- PFD Boot Camp Online
- Grammar Tutorial
Additional test preparation:
- Study guides and sample tests are available on the ICTS website
Candidates for admission to certificate programs may apply using the ACT/SAT scores that meet the following requirements:
- Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030. The writing subtest must have been taken for each test.
- Not have failed the TAP five times.
- The official score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of this application and submission to ISBE.
Candidates who wish to apply the ACT/SAT scores must:
- Complete and submit the ISBE form 73-60 to Dr. Pierce-Ritter, School of Education, Water Tower Campus, Lewis Towers, 1010 (Please include your Loyola ID number on the form)
- If using the ACT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. Their institutional code is 3001.
- If using the SAT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. ISBE does not currently have specific code.
- If Loyola University Chicago does not have an official copy of your score report, you must request that it be sent. Loyola University Chicago Institution Code is 1064.