Checking Out Equipment
Equipment Loan Program Policies Change Log
Digital Media Services reviews the Equipment Loan Policies and Procedures on a semesterly basis. In order to provide transparency regarding the changes, the following change log details the individual changes to the contract:
July 28, 2014 - Modifications for 2014-2015 Academic Year (2.1.0)
- Change - 22.214.171.124. Late Arrival for Pick-Up
The grace period for picking up equipment that is reserved was increased from forty-five (45) minutes to sixty (60) minutes.
- Addition - 126.96.36.199. Multiple Equipment Items
This policy was added to provide the greatest availability to all students, faculty and staff that utilize the Equipment Loan Program.
- Move - 188.8.131.52. Short-Term Loan Equipment
To accomodate the addition of 184.108.40.206. Short-Term Loan Equipment reservations was moved to 220.127.116.11.
- Change - 2.3.3. Training and Certification Requirements
The length of training certifications was defined as one academic year. Certifications must be renewed beginning on August 1 of each calendar year.
- Change - 2.4.1. Circulation Time Limits
Short-Term Loan laptops are no longer restricted to remain in the Information Commons or Corboy Law Center; however, they are still due back within 3 hours to their original circulating location.
- Update - 18.104.22.168. Review of the Contract
The information in this policy was updated to reflect our new contract layout that encourages a discussion between the DMS staff member and the client.
- Addition - 2.4.3. Loan Exceptions and Limits
For clarification, this policy was added to refer to 2.1.1. for Accessing the Program.
- Update - 22.214.171.124. Equipment Usage
An example scenario for equipment usage limits was updated. Headphones and laptop locks are now in our Long-Term Loan offerings.
January 11, 2014 - Original Version (2.0.1)
2.4. CHECKING OUT EQUIPMENT
Clients are responsible for reviewing and accepting associated hourly late fees and policies related to their loan. After accepting the terms of the Equipment Loan Program Contract, a client is responsible and solely liable for all items issued on the Equipment Loan Contract at a service location. The contract provides detailed fine amounts, specific equipment that is loaned, as well as the terms and conditions.
2.4.1. CIRCULATION TIME LIMITS
Equipment in the Loan Program may be circulated for a maximum amount of time per loan depending on it’s designation as short or long-term equipment:
Short-Term Equipment (STL)
Long-Term Equipment (LTL)
Minimum Length of Reservation
Maximum Length of Loan
* Reservations for STL equipment are not accepted. Items for STL are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
2.4.2. EQUIPMENT LOAN CONTRACT
Clients are responsible for verifying all items on their contract are accounted for in any equipment loan prior to signing an Equipment Loan Contract. This includes cables, power adapters, batteries and other components. Be sure to inspect all equipment prior to signing the Contract as any damages that are not reported and/or identified during a checkout process will be the the responsibility of the client.
126.96.36.199. REVIEW OF THE CONTRACT
The following is a sample contract to inform client’s of the layout, expectations and participation in the checkout process. This document is subject to change and serves only as a visual aid, not as an current version of our contract, as they are generated at the time of loan:
- Review the information contained in this box as it contains the client’s contact information and contract issuance date and time.
- Client’s will initial for each item circulated from Digital Media Services. This includes verifying that the items are accounted for prior to signing an Equipment Loan Contract and includes cables, power adapters, batteries and other components.
- Review the checkout date to ensure that the date and time match the current loan process.
- Review and confirm the equipment name, barcode number, serial number and any condition notes prior to initialing in the “Client Initials” box. Inspect all equipment prior to signing the contract as any damages that are not reported and/or identified during a checkout process will be the the responsibility of the client.
- Confirm that the checkout location is accurately represented as this is the location where equipment must be returned at the end of a client’s loan.
- Confirm the checkout return date and time on the contract. This is the specific date and time that equipment must be returned by. Equipment can always be returned prior to this time; however, if returned late, equipment items are subject to the fine policies denoted in section 2.6.4 “Overdue Equipment.”
- Review the late fee that will be assessed to each equipment item that is returned late. Fine rates differ from item to item; however, the full fine rate tier is available for review in section 2.6.4 “Overdue Equipment.”
- After reviewing the policy statements, a client will sign the Contract accepting the terms of this document, the Contract and the condition of the equipment that is being loaned.
If an item is not returned or is lost, replacement charges will be billed to the client as a fine for the full replacement costs, including any additional fees as detailed in this document, at the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) through a University Preferred Vendor. Purchase prices, including comparable products in cases where equipment is no longer manufactured or sold as new, will be determined and are at the discretion of Digital Media Services Manager.
Clients also are responsible for reviewing and accepting associated hourly late fees and policies related to their loan. After signing an Equipment Loan Contract, a client is responsible and solely liable for all items and terms listed on said contract. If a client cannot return equipment by the time specified on their contract/receipt, they must immediately address this concern with the staff member at the time of equipment checkout prior to signing the Equipment Loan Contract. Exceptions to this policy may only be made in writing or via email by a Digital Media Lab Specialist or the Manager of Digital Media Services prior to a client’s equipment loan pick-up. Digital Media Advisors may not provide any exceptions or overrides once a contract is signed.
2.4.3. LOAN EXCEPTIONS AND LIMITS
The following conditions, in addition to the the policies identified in "2.1.1: Accessing the Program," may limit the loan of equipment from Digital Media Services:
188.8.131.52. LOCATION CLOSURE
Equipment will not be circulated during the last fifteen (15) minutes of a service location’s equipment circulating hours. Clients are advised to take this into consideration when planning their reservations. Our reservation system has built in a buffer at the time of reservation.
184.108.40.206. EQUIPMENT USAGE
As with reservations, some categories of equipment may have limitations on the total number of items and/or total hours of semester usage that are available for checkout to an individual client.
Additionally, short-term loan equipment only permits one equipment item per category, per person. For example, a client may check out one laptop and one charger. Any additional laptops or chargers, would be declined.