Photo by Daniel Anderson
Located in Vernon Hills, Illinois, Loyola at Cuneo Mansion and Gardens is home to the Cuneo family collection of fine art and furnishings, set in a beautiful 100-acre estate.
Construction on Cuneo Mansion and Gardens began in 1914 and was completed in 1916 as the home of Samuel Insull, an original founder of the General Electric Company, and designed by Chicago architect Benjamin Marshall in the Italianate style. Its gardens and landscaping were designed by world-renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen. In 1937, John Cuneo Sr. bought the home and lived there with his wife, Julia, and two children, John Jr. and Consuela. John Sr. owned and operated Hawthorn Mellody Farms Dairy, the National Tea Company, and the Cuneo Press.
In 2009, the Cuneo Foundation, the family foundation of John Cuneo Jr. and his wife, Herta, gave the estate to Loyola University Chicago. The $50 million gift, one of the largest in Loyola's history, included the museum’s extensive collection of art and furnishings.
Since receiving the estate, Loyola has completed a number of renovations and added a meeting and event pavilion for courses, lectures and special events. Loyola will continue its investment in the mansion.
Loyola University Chicago offers numerous academic programs at the Cuneo campus which continue to increase each year. These programs coincide with Loyola's commitment to broadening educational opportunities in the greater Chicago-area, especially those living in and around Lake County, and the Cuneo family legacy of giving back to the community.