Student Intern Position
Ramblin’ Around Blog Project Manager and Advertising Consultant 2014-2015
Type of job: Paid Internship
Hours: 15 to 20 hours per week
About the position:
For the past 10 years, the Office of Community Relations has produced the Ramblin’ Around Guide; a business directory that connects first-year and transfer students with the neighborhoods surrounding Lake Shore and Water Tower Campuses, and increases purchasing and foot traffic in the larger local business community. In August of 2014, we will be launching web platform of this guide, the Ramblin Around Blog. Blog will have similar objective as printed guide, but will allow local business community to advertise throughout the year to students, faculty, and staff. Blog will also connect readily with social media platforms, and allow students to interact, share feedback, post pictures, etc. about their experiences at various local restaurants and venues. Intern works collaboratively with several partners including University Marketing Communications on content, layout and design features of blog. Intern also works closely with Edgewater Chamber of Commerce and Rogers Park Business Alliance to highlight new businesses, and also those that are chamber/alliance members. Blog is designed to educate students about local shopping/dining/entertainment options, while encouraging public, bicycle and pedestrian transportation options. Student is responsible for blog management, including several content updates on a weekly basis. Student is also response for building relationships with local business community, and educating local business owners about opportunity to advertise on this blog.
The Ramblin Around Blog, will be linked directly from the Rambler Buzz web app. The new blog will provide updated information regarding students discounts/specials, events, etc. happening the local communities of Rogers Park and Edgewater. The new blog presents an opportunity for local businesses to purchase ad-space and offer special student-oriented promotions. In effect, the blog is designed to support the local business community and encourage LUC students and staff to practice sustainable shopping and dining patterns.
*Student will work closely with Community Relations Specialist to ensure learning goals are met.
- Develop web-management, web-design skill-set
- Develop digital editing skills (digital files for both print guide and blog)
- Develop understanding of social media & advertisement interface
- Develop ability to conduct community outreach
- Gain awareness of economic development initiatives
- Gain project-management skills; ability to manage print and web publications
- Become a Blog Expert!
What we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate will be an extremely effective communicator and display enthusiasm and confidence in-person, on the phone and via email while initiating dialog with new people of varying ages and backgrounds; possess ability to multi-task and prioritize with keen attention to detail; be a team player; be highly self-directed; possess ability to negotiate and problem-solve effectively.
- Working primarily under the direction of the Community Relations Specialist, our intern will have primary responsibility for launch and regular content updating of Ramblin’ Around Blog
- Manage on-time production schedule and distribution channels
- Connect with other LUC social media outlets and channels (Facebook and Twitter)
- Solicit advertising from local business to fund the cost of blog maintenance
- Maintain spreadsheet of business owner contacts
- Coordinate, organize, and integrate data from multiple sources
- Update Ramblin’ Around Blog with events, digital advertisements, and photos
- Create calendar of digital advertisements
Sales, Web Development/Design, Advertising, BUS - Marketing, Digital/Social Media, Economic/Community Development, Administrative/Support Services
•Strong ability to Manage Word Press Web Platform
•Strong ability to edit for web or print
•Basic knowledge and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
• Basic knowledge MS Publisher
•Basic knowledge with print, layout, and design
•Ability to understand Loyola’s web publishing software
• Exceptional time-management skills
•Exceptional customer service skills
•Ability to develop relationships with local business owners