Students who are eligible for Commencement are invited to participate in the ceremony. Below are some steps each student should take in preparing for Commencement:
- Apply for Graduation with your dean’s office.
- Complete all necessary coursework to graduate.
- Check LOCUS to make sure your name is spelled correctly and your address is correct. This is how your name will appear on the diploma and where your diploma will be mailed to.
- Check your Loyola e-mail account for messages about registering to participate in your school’s Commencement ceremony.
- Register online to participate in your Commencement ceremony. Arts and Sciences and Business graduates: This is when you will register for your four tickets.
- Attend the Grad Fair to order/pick up your cap and gown.
- Tell your parents that you’re graduating and give them the information about your Commencement ceremony. Arts and Sciences and Business graduates: Don’t forget to give your guests their tickets to get into the ceremony.
Because there is only one Commencement ceremony per year for Loyola University Chicago, students are eligible to participate in the May 2017 Commencement ceremony if any of the following apply:
- Received a degree in Fall 2016 or Winter 2017
- Completed all degree requirements by May 6, 2017
- Plan to complete requirements during Summer 2017 (students in this category must have the Assistant Dean confirm by April 1 that the student will complete the requirements during Summer 2017)*
All students will need to complete an online registration in order to participate in their Commencement ceremony. If you do not complete this registration then you will not be allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
However, your name will still appear in the Commencement program and you will still receive your diploma.
For students graduating from the College of Arts & Sciences and the Quinlan School of Business, this is when you will be able to select tickets for your guests.
*Students finishing their studies in the summer may participate in the May 2017 ceremony, but their degrees will be formally conferred as of August 2017, after they have completed all degree requirements. For more information on graduation and diplomas, visit the Office of Registration and Records.
Only guests of graduates from the College of Arts & Sciences, Institute of Environmental Sustainablity, Quinlan School of Business, and Stritch School of Medicine need tickets to enter the arena. All other ceremonies are open admission, and no ticket is required.
Each College of Arts and Sciences, Institute of Environmental Sustainability and Quinlan School of Business graduate will receive four tickets for his or her guests. These tickets are selected when graduates register to participate in the Commencement ceremony. All guests, including children age 3 and older, must have a ticket.
Extra tickets for these ceremonies are not available. It is recommended that graduates needing extra tickets ask fellow students to see if they have tickets they no longer need.
Seating is assigned by section for these ceremonies, and the graduates will select their sections when they register to participate in Commencement.
After completing the ticket selection process, students will receive a confirmation e-mail from “tix.com” with a link to print off their tickets. They can either print the tickets off and give them to you or forward you the confirmation email so you can print them off.
- Each ticket contains an individual barcode that cannot be duplicated. Tickets that are copied will not scan correctly and are not valid for use.
- You must present a physical paper ticket at the door in order to be admitted. Our ticket scanners cannot read tickets on any mobile device.
- Selling tickets to Commencement ceremonies is in violation of University policy. Please report any student selling Commencement tickets to your graduate’s dean office.
The Grad Fair is an event sponsored by the Loyola Bookstore that allows students to purchase their academic apparel, have portraits taken, and place orders for other graduation-related items.
Lake Shore Campus: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 10 a.m.–6 p.m., Damen MPR, 6511 N. Sheridan Rd.
Water Tower Campus: Wednesday, April 5, 2017, Noon–6 p.m., Schreiber Center, Wintrust Hall, Floor 9, 16 E. Pearson St.
Grad Fair checklist:
- Purchase your cap, gown, tassel, and hood. Grad Fair apparel pricing: Bachelor, $58.95 + tax; Master, $88.95 + tax
- Purchase a diploma frame
- Order your personalized Balfour graduation announcements
- Have your picture taken in your cap and gown
- Get a free Loyola souvenir tassel, available to the first 300 people who attend the Grad Fair and purchase their regalia
Phone order: Phone orders are subject to a shipping and handling fee of $7.50 for FedEx Ground delivery service.
Lake Shore Campus:773.508.7350
Water Tower Campus: 312.915.7420
Payment methods: Cash, credit cards accepted; checks accepted only if check writer is same as name on check with ID (driver’s license or state ID). Person presenting credit card must be same name as on card.
PhD and School of Law regalia: PhD, School of Law and Stritch School of Medicine regalia will not be available at the Grad Fair. Visit Oak Hall to order rental PhD and School of Law regalia by Monday, April 10.
Bachelor's, master's, and educational specialist candidates: All degree candidates who plan to participate in their graduation ceremony must wear academic apparel that is purchased through the Grad Fair or Loyola Bookstore. You will not be able to purchase your cap and gown the day of your ceremony. In order to receive the correct cap and gown, you will need to know the college or school from which you are graduating and the degree you are earning.
Doctoral candidates: All PhD, EdD, DNP, DBe, and SJD candidates who plan to participate in their Commencement ceremony must wear appropriate academic apparel that is rented online from Oak Hall Cap & Gown. You may also purchase custom Loyola doctoral gowns online through Oak Hall Cap & Gown. PhD, DBe, DNP, and EdD candidates will be able to pick up your gowns 90 minutes before your ceremony on the second floor of the Damen Student Center.
Law & Medical School candidates: All law and medical school candidates who plan to participate in their Commencement ceremony must wear appropriate academic apparel that is rented online from Oak Hall Cap & Gown. Rented apparel is provided at no cost to law and medical students. However, students are responsible for placing their own orders. Online ordering will close on Monday, April 10.
Academic apparel for law students will be distributed in the Damen Student Center, 2nd floor, on the Lake Shore Campus, Saturday, May 13 from 8–10:30 a.m. Stritch medical students must pick up their regalia on Monday, May 15 in SSOM Office of Registration & Records from 9 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Diplomas are ordered for all graduating students by the University’s Office of Registration and Records. Diplomas are ordered following the end of the graduation term for that term’s graduating class, as soon as the individual schools and departments have posted their graduates’ degrees to the students’ education record.
Diplomas are mailed to the graduate’s diploma mailing address as it appears in LOCUS. Students are responsible for correcting or updating their diploma mailing address as necessary. A student wishing to pick up their diploma(s) must notify firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days following graduation. Diplomas are picked up in the Water Tower Campus Office of Registration & Records (LT 510). Graduates are notified via their luc.edu email accounts when diplomas have been mailed or are ready for pick-up.
Please visit the Office of Registration and Records’ Graduation & Diplomas page for more important information about preparing to receive your diploma, e.g., correct diploma mailing address, correct diploma name, and financial holds.
You made it! Welcome to your last year as an undergraduate at Loyola University Chicago. Before you move into your next stage as a Rambler, there is much left to experience. Until you are handled your diploma, check out these great events and opportunities tailored specifically for you.
Senior Class Gift: Before you go forth to set the world on fire, make sure to leave Loyola University a better place than you found it by donating to the senior class gift. Your contribution ensures that the experiences that you've had will carry on into the future.
Senior Events: Your senior year is full of educational, informative, career-driven, and social activities. Take part in these events, including your full list of Senior Send Off programs and information on how to obtain tickets.