Eligibility to Participate
Degree conferral is separate from participating in the Commencement ceremony. Degrees are conferred three times a year—December, May and August. More information about degree conferral can be found here.
Because there is only one Commencement ceremony per year, students are eligible to participate in the May 2013 Commencement ceremony if any of the following apply:
- They had an August 2012 degree conferral and did NOT participate in May 2012 ceremony
- They had a December 2012 degree conferral
- They have applied for a May 2013 degree conferral (application due December 1, 2012) and:
- Completed all PhD degree requirements by April 1, 2013; or
- Completed all master's degree requirements by Monday May 13, 2013, at 5 p.m. Students with a MA or MS thesis must also have final copies turned in by April 1, 2013.
- They have applied for an August 2013 degree conferral (application due February 1, 2013) and:
- Successfully defended a dissertation by May 1, 2013 at noon; or
- Are in the Clinical Psychology PhD or Counseling Psychology PhD program, are completing their internship during Summer 2013 and have defended their dissertations by noon, May 1; or
- Have one remaining requirement for a master's degree (e.g., one course, comprehensive examinations, a project, or a thesis) and plan to complete this requirement during Summer 2013 (students in this category must have the director of the master's program confirm to the Graduate School by April 27 that the student will complete the requirement during summer 2013).