All students in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) are assigned at least two advisors:
- First-year students and sophomores are assigned a primary Academic Advisor in the office of First and Second Year Advising at the Lake Shore Campus. Juniors and seniors in CAS are assigned a primary Academic Advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office at either Lake Shore Campus or Water Tower Campus.
- All CAS students with declared majors are also assigned a Faculty Advisor in their major department or program.
Please note that “undecided” students are only assigned a primary academic advisor until they declare a major. Once they declare a major, they are also assigned a faculty advisor for that major.
Additionally, students interested in pre-health or pre-law advising may meet with an advisor in the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising.
Academic Advisors in First and Second Year Advising (FSYA) advise all first-year students and sophomores. Academic Advisors in the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Offices advise CAS juniors and seniors. These advisors counsel students on a variety of issues, including:
- Core and college requirements
- Transfer credit
- Placement into math, English composition, or language courses
- Concerns about academic performance
- Academic probation and dismissal
- Taking a course overload (more than 18 credit hours) or dropping to part-time status (fewer than 12 credit hours)
- Taking courses on a pass/no-pass or audit basis
- Repeating courses
- Late registration
- Incomplete grades
- Dropping a class
- Progress toward graduation
Students may log into LOCUS at any time to view their academic advisor assignment. If no advisor assignment is listed in LOCUS, first-year students and sophomores should contact First and Second Year Advising at 773.508.7714 for more information; CAS juniors/seniors should contact the CAS Dean's Office at 773.508.3500.
Scheduling an Academic Advising Appointment
- Lake Shore Campus juniors/seniors: To schedule an appointment, call the CAS Dean's Office at LSC at 773.508.3500 or stop by Sullivan Center 235.
- Water Tower Campus juniors/seniors: To schedule an appointment, call the CAS Dean's Office at WTC at 312.915.6520 or stop by Lewis Towers 930.
- All first-year students and sophomores: To schedule an appointment, call First and Second Year Advising at 773.508.7714 or stop by Sullivan Center 260.
Applying for Graduation
- Students who plan to complete their degree requirements in May (Spring) or August (Summer) should complete a College of Arts and Sciences Graduation Application by October 1 prior to the Spring/Summer terms in which they plan to complete all degree requirements. Students who plan to complete their degree requirements in December (Fall) should complete a CAS Graduation Application by March 1 prior to the Fall term in which they plan to complete all degree requirements. The Graduation Application is available online through LOCUS. Upon completion of the graduation application, students may schedule a graduation degree audit appointment to review remaining requirements. For more information about the graduation application process, visit our Apply for Graduation section.
Faculty Advisors are experts in the major field of study and should be consulted regularly about career options, research opportunities, internships, and graduate or professional school. Students may log into LOCUS at any time to view their Faculty Advisor assignment. If you have not yet been assigned a Faculty Advisor, please contact your major department.