Sample Questions to Pose to Hosts during your Job Shadow
Typical Activities and Sample Questions
Typical Job Shadow Activities
- Sit in on company staff meetings
- Complete office tasks or assist with projects
- Conduct informational interviews of both professional and administrative staff
- Observe client interactions
- Observe functions and duties of a particular career
- Tour the facilities
- Review organization’s mission/vision statement and organizational charts
- Understand office policies and procedures
- Review current trends in the profession
- Explore potential career paths within the organization and the profession
- Meet with key players of the organization
Sample Questions to Pose to Hosts During Your Job Shadow
- What are the major divisions of your organization? Where does your division fit in?
- What do you do during a typical work week/day?
- What skills/abilities/attributes are most important in your work?
- How did you enter this field? What preparations (college major, training, other work experiences) would you suggest for someone interested in entering this field?
- What other career areas are related to your work?
- What are the areas of growth and decline in this career field?
- What are the most significant problems you face in your specific job, department, or organization? To respond to these problems, what attributes do you seek in people you hire?
- What is the average beginning salary for a person entering this career field?
- Do employees have the opportunity for advancement within your organization? If so, how often is typical?
- How much flexibility does one typically have regarding: innovation, self-expression, hours of work, lifestyle, decision making (authority), and feedback? Do employees regularly work overtime?
- What percentage of time do you spend in interaction with people (staff and clients)? Working independently? Working with a team?
- Must someone in your field expect to be moved about often during his/her career (within the company and geographically)?
- Can you name any relevant magazines, journals, or publications that you would recommend I review?
- Do you have any advice for me?