Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) refers to the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist as well as to other rituals that prepare adults who have never been baptized, or who have been baptized in a non-Catholic church, to receive these Sacraments and become fully initiated members of the Catholic Church.
The rites are liturgical celebrations that mark several important steps along one’s spiritual journey:
- The Rite of Acceptance into the Catechumenate – In late autumn, the worshiping community officially welcomes those who make a formal response to Christ’s call to conversion.
- The Enrollment of Names – At the beginning of Lent, the bishop makes an official list of the names of those who desire to be baptized on Easter.
- Celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation – During the Great Vigil of Easter, those who have been prepared are Baptized and/or Confirmed and receive their first Holy Communion.
In between these important liturgical celebrations, there are several periods of time that give people opportunities to grow in their understanding of the Catholic Faith and in their relationship to Christ and the local worshipping community.
- Inquiry – There will be several informal meetings where people can receive information about Christian Initiation and becoming Catholic.
- Catechumenate – For several months, catechumens (literally, “those who echo-back” what they hear) meet weekly to pray and reflect on the Catholic Faith and their response to it.
- Purification and Enlightenment – During Lent, those who will be baptized focus on conversion, and the worshipping community offers special prayers for them.
- Mystagogy – Those who received the Sacraments on Easter, continue to grow in their faith during the Easter season.
7:00 PM to 10:00 PM, Sundays when classes are in session, beginning in September.
We will meet in Dumbach 238 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and then go to Mass at Madonna della Strada Chapel at 9:00 p.m.
- October 24-25, 2014 Overnight retreat on prayer at LUREC
- November 16, 2014 Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens at Madonna della Strada, 9:00 PM.
- February 22, 2015 Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion at Holy Name Cathedral (time TBA)
- April 4, 2015 The Great Vigil of Easter at Madonna della Strada, 8:00 PM.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact Dr. John Paul Salay.