Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
Photo Credit: Kelly Jung
All you who are thirsty, come to the water! You who have no money, come, buy grain and eat (Isaiah 55:1a).
The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) refers to the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist as well as to other rituals that prepare adults who have never been baptized, or who have been baptized in a non-Catholic church, to receive these Sacraments and become fully initiated members of the Catholic Church.
The rites are liturgical celebrations that mark several important steps along one’s spiritual journey:
- The Rite of Acceptance into the Catechumenate – In late autumn, the worshipping community officially welcomes those who make a formal response to Christ’s call to conversion.
- The Enrollment of Names – At the beginning of Lent, the bishop makes an official list of the names of those who desire to be baptized on Easter.
- Celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation – During the Great Vigil of Easter, those who have been prepared are Baptized and/or Confirmed and receive their first Holy Communion.
In between these important liturgical celebrations, there are several periods of time that give people opportunities to grow in their understanding of the Catholic Faith and in their relationship to Christ and the local worshipping community.
- Inquiry – There will be several informal meetings where people can receive information about Christian Initiation and becoming Catholic.
- Catechumenate – For several months, catechumens (literally, “those who echo-back” what they hear) meet weekly to pray and reflect on the Catholic Faith and their response to it.
- Purification and Enlightenment – During Lent, those who will be baptized focus on conversion, and the worshipping community offers special prayers for them.
- Mystagogy – Those who received the Sacraments on Easter, continue to grow in their faith during the Easter season.
7:00 PM to 10:00 PM, Sundays when classes are in session, beginning September 29.
We will gather in Damen 217 for prayer and reflection on Scripture and the Catechism, and then we will attend the Mass in the Chapel at 9:00 PM.
- November 17, 2013 Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens at Madonna della Strada, 9:00 PM.
- February 21-22, 2014 Overnight retreat on “prayer” at LUREC.
- March 16, 2014 Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion at Holy Name Cathedral, 7:00 PM.
- April 19, 2014 The Great Vigil of Easter at Madonna della Strada, 8:00 PM.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact Dr. John Paul Salay or stop by one of our upcoming “Come and See” meetings.
- Sunday, September 8
After the 10:30 am Mass in Madonna della Strada’s Reconciliation Room on the north side of the sanctuary.
- Sunday, September 15
After the 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm Masses in Madonna della Strada’s Reconciliation Room on the north side of the sanctuary.
- Monday. September 16
5:15 pm – 5:45 pm, Damen 213.
- Tuesday, September 17
11:30 am – 12:00 pm, Damen 213.