Sponsored by Campus Ministry
What is Loyola Gives?
Loyola Gives is the annual Loyola University Chicago Holiday Giving Program. Loyola Gives joins our campus community with Catholic Charities' Sponsor-A-Family program to spread holiday cheer throughout Chicago. Loyola groups sponsor families in need by raising funds and purchasing items requested by the families.
In the Ignatian tradition, this season of giving is an occasion for us to reflect on the growth and prosperity in our lives and to give to those who have been less fortunate. Pope Francis has brought the attention of the poor to us and implores us to do something. Here at Loyola University Chicago, we have the chance to do something right here in Chicago where the needs are great. Again this year we are reaching out to you and to your department to hear the call of the Pope and Loyola to help a needy family.
The Loyola community has always been very generous in this giving. Over the past few years, 151 Loyola departments, schools, and student groups have supported over 363 families!
Loyola Gives 2013 is now officially underway and we hope you will take an interest in participating in this wonderful project! We're now ready to receive specific requests from offices/departments/groups like yours.
How Loyola Gives Works
- Loyola's Campus Ministry Department receives information from Catholic Charities on Sponsor-A-Family participants.
Many of these families have recently overcome homelessness, substance abuse, and unemployment. Others are recovering from illness or other financially debilitating circumstances.
- Loyola departments and groups select a coordinator and contact Campus Ministry to sponsor a family or families.
We suggest that groups plan on spending around $100 per family member. Campus Ministry then provides information about the families, including the ages, gender and gift ideas for family members as well as background information regarding the family’s current situation.The sponsoring group purchases gifts and may even provide non-perishable food. Because some individuals would like to participate and they have a small department and are not large enough to support a family, there is also a stuffed animal collection. Catholic Charities would like us to buy cuddly stuffed animals.
- Sponsoring departments, groups and individuals drop-off the families’ gifts on designated days, which are: Wednesday, December 4th (Water Tower Campus) and Thursday, December 5th (Lake Shore Campus).
Catholic Charities picks-up the gifts those days and ensures that the families receive them at the holidays.
Loyola Gives Coordinators
Every department or group participating in Loyola Gives will assign a coordinator to facilitate the program. The coordinator will:
1. Inform your department or group about Loyola Gives.
2. Spread the news and promote the opportunity to give.
3. Attend the Coordinator Information & Training Session. (see schedule below).
4. Keep your group on target with purchasing and gathering gifts.
5. Ensure that presents are properly bagged and delivered to the designated location at the scheduled day and time.
Loyola Gives Schedule
Send out letters to all departments, groups, and individuals
Identify which departments are participating and who is the coordinator
Meet with the coordinators to be given out bags and labels:
- Lake Shore Campus in Granada West Conference Room at noon to 1 PM
- Water Tower Campus in Room 727 in the Corboy Law Center at noon to 1 PM
- Following the meeting, at both campuses, there will be a drawing for a $50 Target gift card. Coordinators must be in attendance to win.
- Please email Cathy O'Sullivan to confirm the family name and ID number you received.
Drop off at the Terry Student Center Lobby, Water Tower Campus, 12:00 PM to 2 PM.
Drop off at Damen Student Center Lobby, Lake Shore Campus, 12:00 PM to 2 PM.
Loyola Gives Contact
Cathy O’Sullivan, firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 8-8043
Thank you in advance for your support of this program!