MS in Biology: Admissions Requirements
For admission to the Department of Biology MS program, applicants should have, or be in the process of completing a Bachelor's degree in biology or a sub-discipline thereof.
Applicants with a degree in a different major may still apply, but may need to demonstrate biological knowledge through additional course work. Such applicants should also take the subject GRE in Biology or Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. Applicants to the MS degree program ordinarily have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and have completed two or more years of course work in biology and chemistry and one year of physics.
Applicants must submit:
- A $40 application fee
- A completed application form
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work
- Scores for the general GRE
- Three letters of recommendation (usually from referees familiar with the applicant's academic work)
- A statement of purpose describing academic and research interests and professional goals
- Either a TOEFL or IELTS score report is required for applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English. For the TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based test or 550 on the written test is required. The minimum score for the new TOEFL iBT (Internet-based test) is 79–80. For the IELTS, a minimum score of 6.5 is required.
- International applicants, or US applicants who completed school abroad, are required to submit non-US transcripts to an outside credential evaluation service such as:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE): http://www.ece.org
Please request a general evaluation report and have the official report sent to:
Loyola University Chicago
Graduate Enrollment Management
820 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
Note: Fall admission deadline is February 1 for stipend and tuition scholarship consideration, otherwise June 1.